The Student Room Group

Options for doing A levels as a mature student

I was wondering on how easy it is to, as a mature student:

i. Re-do GCSE's (Without course: to enable progression onto A levels)
ii. Enrol on A level courses
Reply 1
Bump!
Original post by hellodave5
I was wondering on how easy it is to, as a mature student:

i. Re-do GCSE's (Without course: to enable progression onto A levels)
ii. Enrol on A level courses

1. You would enter as a private candidate through any exam centre willing to take you.
Easy to do maths GCSE. If you don't have them at C grade you should be able to find free evening classes for maths and English gcse starting next September. It's Very hard to do many subjects as a GCSE as most of them currently include controlled assessments set and marked by the school and not easily available to private candidates. Doing IGCSE is a viable alternative in many subjects as they are mostly exam only. It can be harder to find a centre that offers them. It could be expensive in terms of exam fees, ballpark £50-£100 per subject.

2. Usually easy to enrol for A levels as a full time mature student at FE colleges but not school sixth forms. Fees will depend on age and prior education. Evening or part time classes may be limited in the range that are available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
1. You would enter as a private candidate through any exam centre willing to take you.
Easy to do maths GCSE. Very hard to do many subjects as a GCSE as most of them currently include controlled assessments set and marked by the school and not easily available to private candidates. Doing IGCSE is a viable alternative in many subjects as they are mostly exam only. It can be harder to find a centre that offers them. It could be expensive in terms of exam fees, ballpark £50-£100 per subject.

2. Usually easy to enrol for A levels as a full time mature student at FE colleges but not school sixth forms. Fees will depend on age and prior education. Evening or part time classes may be limited in the range that are available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the helpful reply!

So would it be difficult to re-do the sciences?

Nice! Colleges would tend to happily accept mature students? What would the difference be between full time and part time courses?
Original post by hellodave5
Thanks for the helpful reply!

So would it be difficult to re-do the sciences?

Nice! Colleges would tend to happily accept mature students? What would the difference be between full time and part time courses?

Very difficult to do science gcses because of controlled assessments, very doable to do science igcse which would be exam only.

Full-time would be 3 full A levels spread through a whole week timetable. You would not be there 9-5, 5 days a week.
Part time might be to study 1 subject and would often be weekly evening classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Very difficult to do science gcses because of controlled assessments, very doable to do science igcse which would be exam only.

Full-time would be 3 full A levels spread through a whole week timetable. You would not be there 9-5, 5 days a week.
Part time might be to study 1 subject and would often be weekly evening classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds great, thanks. Sounds like I need... to do some reading on IGCSE's.

The reason I ask is, once I have finished my MSc, I feel it may be a good idea to touch up on my grades of back in the day, and maybe do a few part time A levels... in support of a medical application in case admissions become more stringent.

Currently have only basic (predominantly C grade; few B's, D in chem) GCSE's, and a BTEC in Sports Science (albeit with 3 distinctions).

Quick Reply

Latest