The Student Room Group

Can't even start this question.

I'm looking at this question and I can't even figure out how to start.

I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Any hints?

From trying the first few values it is obvious that it is going to be less than 3 but I can't really explain why an\displaystyle a_n must lie in the interval.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alex2100x
I'm looking at this question and I can't even figure out how to start.I'm not sure what's wrong with me.Any hints?From trying the first few values it is obvious that it is going to be less than 3 but I can't really explain why an\displaystyle a_n must lie in the interval.
Do you know about proof by induction?
Reply 2
Original post by Hodor
Do you know about proof by induction?

Actually I don't get it I have never seen an induction question like this before? Should I rearrange to find a_n in terms of a_n+1????
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually I don't get it I have never seen an induction question like this before? Should I rearrange to find a_n in terms of a_n+1????

well its super easy! a1=5/2a_1=5/2 clearly lies between 2 and 3
assume true for n=k and the consider the n=k+1 case using the given formula.
Reply 4
Original post by tombayes
well its super easy! a1=5/2a_1=5/2 clearly lies between 2 and 3
assume true for n=k and the consider the n=k+1 case using the given formula.

Okay thanks here is what I have got.

Base Case: P(1): 2523\displaystyle 2 \leq \frac{5}{2} \leq 3 so P(1) is true.

Assume P(k) is true: 2ak32 \displaystyle \leq a_k \leq 3

Show that P(k) being true \displaystyle \rightarrow P(k+1) is true:

Here is where I'm stuck by looking at the maximum/minimum values an\displaystyle a_n can take it seems obvious when substituting for it in an+1\displaystyle a_{n+1} that 2an+13\displaystyle 2 \leq a_{n+1} \leq 3 but I don't really know how to write this down in a nice way.
Reply 5
I think I've done it.

I showed by solving the inequality for a_n that if a_n is between 2 and 3 and then so much a_n+1 thus if we assume that a_n is in the right interval so must a_n+1 and therefore all natural numbers by induction.

Any ideas how to show it's a decreasing sequence?
Reply 6
I think I've done it.

I showed by solving the inequality for a_n that if a_n is between 2 and 3 and then so much a_n+1 thus if we assume that a_n is in the right interval so must a_n+1 and therefore all natural numbers by induction.

Any ideas how to show it's a decreasing sequence?

Decreasing basically means that an+1<ana_{n+1} < a_n which is the same as saying that an+1an<0a_{n+1} - a_n < 0 so a good strategy is usually to try and work with this second inequality to see if you can prove that it's true.

Quick Reply

Latest