Desegregating public facilities

Watch
Poll: Should public facilities (e.g toilets) become integrated?
Yes (3)
21.43%
No (11)
78.57%
Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What with all the equality preaching going on and LGBT acceptance I think it's fair to say facilities such as toilets changing rooms should all become unisex. To become a truly equal society changes need to be made!

Of course there would be an option for this instead of 2 toilets there would be 3. One for males, another for females and one for unisex. So people are free to choose. I think it's appropriate what with gender equality being the heart of many of societies controversies.

What do you guys think?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Shadoo)
What with all the equality preaching going on and LGBT acceptance I think it's fair to say facilities such as toilets changing rooms should all become unisex. To become a truly equal society changes need to be made!
What do you guys think?
The problem I see here is that I'd imagine there are quite a lot of people who wouldn't really care either way, and there will be a small number of people who would be quite strongly against this. Personally, I wouldn't really have any problems with this (although it wouldn't do the urinal industry any favours) but I think there will be more people who are strongly against this than there will be strongly for it.
Shadoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
The problem I see here is that I'd imagine there are quite a lot of people who wouldn't really care either way, and there will be a small number of people who would be quite strongly against this. Personally, I wouldn't really have any problems with this (although it wouldn't do the urinal industry any favours) but I think there will be more people who are strongly against this than there will be strongly for it.
Of course there would be an option for this instead of 2 toilets there would be 3. One for males, another for females and one for unisex. So people are free to choose. I think it's appropriate what with gender equality being the heart of many of societies controversies.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But wouldn't that be a pretty unnecessary expense? I just don't see the point, either you have segregated public facilities or you have one for everyone. I think 3 is a bit OTT...
Shadoo
Rep:
?
But wouldn't that be a pretty unnecessary expense? I just don't see the point, either you have segregated public facilities or you have one for everyone. I think 3 is a bit OTT...
Not necessarily if it brings equality then it's worth it. You're not against gender equality are you Chlorophile?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not necessarily if it brings equality then it's worth it. You're not against gender equality are you Chlorophile?
No, but I'm also not in favour of a regulation that would force everyone to build a third bathroom just to appease a very, very small number of people...
Shadoo
Rep:
?
No, but I'm also not in favour of a regulation that would force everyone to build a third bathroom just to appease a very, very small number of people...
This regulation would ensure every humans right to equal treatment of course at first it would be costly but then eventually the upkeeping costs would become the same as having two facilities. The cost is only there because this was not thought about in the times when gender inequality were rife. But we are a different generation and I'm sure we all want gender equality whatever the cost.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This regulation would ensure every humans right to equal treatment of course at first it would be costly but then eventually the upkeeping costs would become the same as having two facilities. The cost is only there because this was not thought about in the times when gender inequality were rife. But we are a different generation and I'm sure we all want gender equality whatever the cost.
Then just have one set of toilets then. Using your logic, by having three toilets you are propagating the ideology of gender segregation by giving the impression of a choice to choose segregation.
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Then just have one set of toilets then. Using your logic, by having three toilets you are propagating the ideology of gender segregation by giving the impression of a choice to choose segregation.

Yes but introducing drastic changes into society can never be good. Allowing people to opt for this will allow gender segregation to gradually fade away by changing peoples negative attitude towards change. It wouldn't be any more propagating than the current system in place of separate facilities.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes but introducing drastic changes into society can never be good. Allowing people to opt for this will allow gender segregation to gradually fade away by changing peoples negative attitude towards change. It wouldn't be any more propagating than the current system in place of separate facilities.
Combining toilets is a drastic change but forcing everyone to build an entirely separate toilet so that every time someone wants to go to the loo, they have to make a conscious decision whether they want to do their business with people of the same gender or people of both genders isn't a drastic change?
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Combining toilets is a drastic change but forcing everyone to build an entirely separate toilet so that every time someone wants to go to the loo, they have to make a conscious decision whether they want to do their business with people of the same gender or people of both genders isn't a drastic change?
Drastic measures are required to combat segregation on such a continuous level that many people don't realise it affects them however minutely. This conscious decision that you refer to is only because people are 'used to' only having 2 toilets but gradually will become acclimatized to the change you describe as drastic when in reality is because many fear change. This fear could be perhaps you are not entirely for Gender Equality.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Drastic measures are required to combat segregation on such a continuous level that many people don't realise it affects them however minutely. This conscious decision that you refer to is only because people are 'used to' only having 2 toilets but gradually will become acclimatized to the change you describe as drastic when in reality is because many fear change. This fear could be perhaps you are not entirely for Gender Equality.
If drastic measures are required, what's wrong with my proposal?
Shadoo
Rep:
?
If drastic measures are required, what's wrong with my proposal?
Your proposal of having one toilet would be counter-productive as men and women are biologically different for example women have menstruation. I am proposing these facilities for day-to-day things such as using the loo or just washing your hands which would encourage Gender Equality.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your proposal of having one toilet would be counter-productive as men and women are biologically different for example women have menstruation. I am proposing these facilities for day-to-day things such as using the loo or just washing your hands.
Well if you can figure out a way to finance this (on top of the space requirements which many places will not have), you're more than welcome to propose this. I think it's nonsense though, it's making a massive deal out of nothing.
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Well if you can figure out a way to finance this (on top of the space requirements which many places will not have), you're more than welcome to propose this. I think it's nonsense though, it's making a massive deal out of nothing.

Clearly Gender Equality is not an issue for you but for others it may be. I am not describing an instant change but measures which require at least a gradual change in the form these facilities are currently being provided.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Clearly Gender Equality is not an issue for you but for others it may be. I am not describing an instant change but measures which require at least a gradual change in the form these facilities are currently being provided.
A gradual change which will cost a massive amount of money, which will probably be infeasible anyway because of practical problems, and a change which is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Gender inequality is a problem. If you think creating three toilets solves that problem, you are very much mistaken. I am pretty certain that if you ask people the best way to combat gender inequality, creating three sets of toilets will be near the bottom of that list.
Shadoo
Rep:
?
A gradual change which will cost a massive amount of money, which will probably be infeasible anyway because of practical problems, and a change which is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Gender inequality is a problem. If you think creating three toilets solves that problem, you are very much mistaken. I am pretty certain that if you ask people the best way to combat gender inequality, creating three sets of toilets will be near the bottom of that list.

I'm not just talking about toilets if you look at the thread title it clearly states public facilities which would help combat segregation in daily life.

P.S: These posts are not representative of my views but are made to encourage debate.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not just talking about toilets if you look at the thread title it clearly states public facilities which would help combat segregation in daily life.

P.S: These posts are not representative of my views but are made to encourage debate.
Well requiring three sets for even more public facilities is even worse...
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't call the current situation with toilets 'segregation'. That sounds a little extreme...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Well requiring three sets for even more public facilities is even worse...
As I previously stated these changes would be gradual and if you have no constructive arguments then don't bother.

Does anyone else have any questions?

P.S: It seems TSR is half-dead on a Tuesday evening.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (58)
38.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (7)
4.61%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (33)
21.71%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
9.21%

Watched Threads