Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do exam boards/syllabus writers/whoever pay some idiot to sit there in a little room all year making up ridiculous names for case studies and exercises for poor little AS and A level students to work on?

Example: In ICT we had a case study about 'Barry's Bad Data Day'. :rolleyes: LMAO I DON'T THINK!!

Then Mia's Sandwich Shop. WHY 'Mia'? Shouldn't they have made it alliterative and been 'Sammy's Sandwiches' or something a little bit more catchy?

I've heard there's some hideous sounding ones in Computing too.

Anyone got any examples?

Yes I'm sad that I've noticed this.

ReputationRep:
    I never knew some A-Levels were so quirky!

Why the hell am I doing all boring subjects :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Example: In ICT we had a case study about 'Barry's Bad Data Day'.
    I subconsicnely returned the favour by naming my user in my ICT coursework, 'Miss Melody Marbles'.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ KSFC, how ironic!

...and 'Miss Melody Marbles', getting back at the system :P nice! Lol

ReputationRep:
    The thing that makes me laugh in exam papers (especially Maths) is that the kids who are always painting their room and trying to work out how much paint they need are always called Sanjay and Hardeep or John and Jill. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

ReputationRep:
    lol. i think its just funny.

stupid but funny.

ReputationRep:
    I remember my GCSE text book was full of things like "Punita and Rhama are throwing dice" or "Hoshi and Kavita want to calculate how high the ladder will reach", the kids were never called "Tom" or "Mary" or anything hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky88)
    The thing that makes me laugh in exam papers (especially Maths) is that the kids who are always painting their room and trying to work out how much paint they need are always called Sanjay and Hardeep or John and Jill. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
    Lol thats true.

Furthermore, the thing that amuses me is that in reality who the hell would actually want to calculate how much paint theyre going to use ? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Examiners think that exploiting the powers of alliterations they are suddenly hip, trendy, and down connecting with the mindset of teenage student. Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfessorFitBoy)
    Lol thats true.

Furthermore, the thing that amuses me is that in reality who the hell would actually want to calculate how much paint theyre going to use ? :confused:
    Lmao I know! And "Sanjeeva's pencil is 9.5cm long but his box is only 7.5cm long. How can he fit the pencil in the box?"

GET A BIGGER BOX!!!

ReputationRep:
    By snapping the pencil in half in a fit of stupid-question-induced rage?

I suppose the names thing is to make them inoffensive and connect with the "ethnic minorities" within the school system; it's a bit PC, but I'm sure there'd be a backlash against any exam board that had case studies all of "Tom" and "Jill" and didn't include a single "Sanjeeva" or "Hardeep". And then there'd be a Daily Mail rant against the "PC Police", wishing a return to traditional values of Peter and Jane, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that's funny about the maths books, I remember that at GCSE! I never did understand why they put the kids in there in the first place. I'd much rather have had a simple thing saying "calculate .... whatever" instead of putting a whole damn narrative around it :p:

FadeToBlackout, very true about the Daily Mail rants! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    By snapping the pencil in half in a fit of stupid-question-induced rage?
    Yeah, I like that one lol.

ReputationRep:
    Business case study '06 - company was called S4U (shoes 4 you). hahahah.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Einsteinium they love to make it sound 'hip' and modern don't they!!

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I know! And "Sanjeeva's pencil is 9.5cm long but his box is only 7.5cm long. How can he fit the pencil in the box?"

GET A BIGGER BOX!!!

good one!!!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Exam Qs are so ridiculous and random sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfessorFitBoy)
    Lol thats true.

Buying too much isn't a financial asset and buying too little isn’t good for the room(s). So the logical thing to do is to calculate how much paint is needed for the room(s).
    Maths (apart from pure..) can't answer those questions since they are against the laws of Physics provided (we don’t want to break the pen; even if we did break the pen it still wont fit in, unless we assumed there was an extra dimension, vertical height)

Oh I love Maths!

ReputationRep:
    Jim's Gym is the name of my case study in ICT. Exam boards have a habit of giving silly names like this. It is starting to annoy me the amount of times I have gotten the names mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    I know! The GCSE Maths quesions are so random! In the mock we had a question along the lines of "Jonah wants to fin out how many people in her year group read comics. She must conduct a full statistcal analysis. Write down 3 things she must do"

1)Why would yo want to know in the first place

2) Why would you care enough about the results to waste your time doing a full statistical analysis at the age of 16!

3) Just Why? - Somone in our class got anoyed with the queston and just wrote why in big bold letters in the answer space. Can't blame them really!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.