The Student Room Group

Getting into Sixth Form

First some background info,
Many years ago, when I was 7? I skipped year 3 in school. Currently, I am aged 14 and in year 11. Next year I hope to progress to the Sixth Form at my school, however there are some requirements:
*Have a good attitude to work
*Achieve 5 B grades at GCSE.
*Participate in an interview, displaying good work ethics to enter the Sixth Form

Now, education in England is compulsory for all children under the age of 16 on 1st September. By the time I should start the next school year, I still will be under the age of 16 however, IF I do not achieve 5 'B' grades at GCSE, or do not show good attitudes to work, can my school prevent me from entering the sixth form or would I be forced to find schooling elsewhere? I see no reason why my school should expel me.

I have not seen anyone forced to leave my school other than through expulsion. I believe that my school has to continue to educate me until the end of summer 2008 at the earliest.

Have any of you know of cases such as this or know the laws about compulaosry education?
Reply 1
basically, its the law that you have to complete your education until you do your GCSEs, after that u can do whatever u want...
and 6th form, my school was a secondary school/6th form.. i did not have problems getin into 6th form... i achieved good GCSEs, and i was called for interview... tbh i had so much confidence that i will be in.. i jus turned up interview nothin special (not wearin shirt n tie) and jus basically didnt think anythion opf it... i got in... jus make sure u meet their targets with 5 B grades and ur fine...
Reply 2
Maybe you should ask Splorgie, she is in Year 12 now, but is only 15. She will know what happens better than any of us :p:
Reply 3
5 Bs!
I only had to get 5 Cs to get into my 6th form, if I was at your school I wouldn't have got in! :redface:
Reply 4
Maybe you should ask Splorgie, she is in Year 12 now, but is only 15.

What?!

How do people skip years in the UK? I've never heard of it happening.
Reply 5
AisAis
What?!

How do people skip years in the UK? I've never heard of it happening.

I haven't either! Is there a Britain somewhere in a parallel universe? ^o)
Reply 6
Hi TheTallOne,

I might be able to help a bit here in clarifying the law, as I have been home educated for a couple of years so am up to scratch on what you can and can't do legally regards to education.

It's actually quite simple: the law says that children of compulsory school age (5-16) must receive a full-time education suitable to their age, ability and aptitude, whether by means of regular attendance at school or otherwise. That's all it says - it doesn't say that you have to take exams, do GCSEs, or follow a curriculum etc.

So what does that mean in practice for you? Well, riding on the assumption of you failing to achieve 5 Bs at GCSE, no, your school isn't legally required to offer you a place in the 6th form just because you still need to be legally educated. The 6th form is a completely seperate entity to the secondary school you have been attending and it is within their rights to refuse you a place if you fail to meet the entry requirements.

That said, even if you do fail, you are still entitled to your free education at school up until age 16, so what your school would probably have to do is let you retake year 11, or find appropriate alternatives e.g. one day a week at a local college. However, given your individual circumstances, I'm sure they might be more lenient that usual if you do fail to achieve 5 Bs - if you have the required good attitude towards work and perform brilliantly at the interview, they might take your case on individual merit if you only achieve 4 Bs and a C.
i was so jealous of this boy, who was so clever that in year 8 he was moved up to year 10 but he's our age now, and left yr13 last year! luckyy:smile:
Bexiness!
Maybe you should ask Splorgie, she is in Year 12 now, but is only 15. She will know what happens better than any of us :p:

That's new to me, I didn't know that Splorgie was in the same year as me!:eek: :p:
Madémoisélle Charlotté
That's new to me, I didn't know that Splorgie was in the same year as me!:eek: :p:

:hahaha: Charlotte :p:
She was moved up a year into our year a while ago. (Like at Junior school)
calcium878
:hahaha: Charlotte :p:
She was moved up a year into our year a while ago. (Like at Junior school)

Well I didn't know:redface:
Madémoisélle Charlotté
Well I didn't know:redface:

:rolleyes: Charlotte :p:
calcium878
:rolleyes: Charlotte :p:

Cal:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending