Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i drink very little alcohol, but this shouldn't make a difference, i wouldn't have thought.

Basically, i think bar work would be a good experience for me, as something temporary, or more appropriately, as an extra income, working some weeknights and weekend nights. However, i don't know my tequila from my rum, i literally know very little about the different alcoholic drinks, and have pretty much only ever touched (personally consumed) beers and lagers in my life. I feel the experience would be a confidence boost, a life experience boost, and of course, importantly, an income boost.

So, a few questions...

is it easy to pick up how to make different drinks, when starting work at a bar? I know bits about the bar culture, tips et al, as my younger brother has done some barwork in the past, and maybe i will enquire about work at his former place of work....

any tips/pointers much appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Personally, i drink very little alcohol, but this shouldn't make a difference, i wouldn't have thought.

Basically, i think bar work would be a good experience for me, as something temporary, or more appropriately, as an extra income, working some weeknights and weekend nights. However, i don't know my tequila from my rum, i literally know very little about the different alcoholic drinks, and have pretty much only ever touched (personally consumed) beers and lagers in my life. I feel the experience would be a confidence boost, a life experience boost, and of course, importantly, an income boost.

So, a few questions...

is it easy to pick up how to make different drinks, when starting work at a bar? I know bits about the bar culture, tips et al, as my younger brother has done some barwork in the past, and maybe i will enquire about work at his former place of work....

any tips/pointers much appreciated...
    Hehe, I am similar to you, in a way. I drink, but know very little about all the different types of drinks. But, you learn very quickly. When I started working just over 3 weeks ago I had no idea what, for example, a Shandy was, or how to pour a pint, or what a Fosters and Lime was. I have learnt a lot though, as the people I work with are really nice and if in doubt I just ask.

Tips- get to know the basics e.g how to make a Gin and Tonic (pretty easy really)but don’t worry you pick it all up pretty easily. And it’s a great feeling ID’ing people, I view it as revenge for all the times I have been ID'd :evil:

ReputationRep:
    You won't get a job in any bar that you'll need to know about the drinks anyway; assuming this is your first bar job, it'll be some local where all you need to know is how to use an optic, how to pour a pint, and how to turn on the glasswasher.

If you like barwork, you'll get into it more, and end up in bars where spirit knowledge is vital to being a good barman. I had to know about 50 or so cocktails in my last job, and over 100 spirits.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.