Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of this or signed up to it?

Basically, you calculate your carbon dioxide impact, pay BP a sum of money and they then invest that money into projects which neutralise your carbon impact. Works out at around £20 a year. Not sure whether I care enough to do it, and I'm not too convinced about the science/ideas behind it either. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I pay enough for petrol as it is, 4 times more than the US and I'm led to believe Australlia get it even cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but the reason they pay more for it is because their governments tax it less heavily - the fact we pay more has very little to do with BP.

ReputationRep:
    I know it isn't down to BP/Shell/the petrol companies, I know it's all tax. Maybe some of the tax should go towards this instead of them just raking it in and making a killer of the motorist

ReputationRep:
    I agree entirely.

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend it.

And thats not just because I'm dying to work for BP alternative energy...

ReputationRep:
    I signed up. You get a pretty sticker to go on the back of your car and get to feel moderately smug .

ReputationRep:
    What we need is cars that run on water - wouldn't that be great?

Just worked mine out, low mileage and average mpg = £10.02. But i hardly use my car now so my emissions are probably a lot less than 2 tonnes of CO2.

I'm going to do some reading and decide whether i think its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give this link to my brother, see if he'll make use of it

A lot of the cars in Brazil run off both petrol and ethanol (which is made from all the crops they have I think).
    We need some alternate fuel sources too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    What we need is cars that run on water - wouldn't that be great?
    No, there are enough problems already with droughts and such like, that using water would be harmful for humans. Unless sea water was used...

ReputationRep:
    BP have enough money to invest in those projects without me paying them extra. Maybe they should reduce some of their oil mining budget and invest it into this project?

I'm actually astounded at the cheek of it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    It's your opportunity to make a difference, they already make a difference in many ways...we live in a capitalist society.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, do you really believe that? If so, you've got alot to learn. In this country we get robbed blind by the government, manufacturers and providers of public service, and you want to give away even more of your money to these people?

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason for BP to invest any of its own money into these sort of projects - it doesn't make sense from a profit point-of-view, and that is all any business cares about (rightly so in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about, I assure you I am pretty world aware, I pay £300 a month in taxes and N.I and live in the real world. However, just like giving to charity, this is an optional thing.

ReputationRep:
    I almost agree with Narb to be honest. Yes, we live in a capitalist society, but that doesn't stop companies not investing in projects that are not returning. Many businesses start up and expect a loss before making a profit. Many businesses purchase something whcih makes them look good as a benefit to getting the real sale. Its swings and roundabouts, and I think BP are taking the piss. They should invest into something like this, after all, it is their duty to the environement in an ethical sense, and if they don't take that seriously, commodities such as oil aren't going to be around forever. I'm in no way Green Peace, but companies should stop taking the piss and take some responsibility from the wealth they indirectly receive by using the earth's resources.

ReputationRep:
    BP, albeit relatively, ARE an ethical company in terms of environment, compared to the rest of the oil industry.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.