Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the pupils, at least not solely. Teaching and education aren't exactly sparkling in the UK at the moment. That's why I said "been taught", not "learnt". Consider that Creationism is already beginning to pollute the UK's science syllabus as it has corrupted that of the US.
    I can assure that no state school in the US teaches creationism. The nutcases have tried and tried, but have still failed.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...237041,00.html

This is somewhat relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Well we don't come from monkeys as monkeys are a current species. However we do come from a species that looked very similar to the monkeys of today so unless you want people to say...all the time "Humans came from a species that looked very much like monkeys" every single time then you shouldnt argue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    I can assure that no state school in the US teaches creationism. The nutcases have tried and tried, but have still failed.
    I have heard that in some state it has been. Or is this in a private school of some kind?

ReputationRep:
    Evolution cannot possibly be stopped. It's a way of describing what happens to species over a long period of time. As long as there is life, and time is flowing, there is the process of evolution.

Natural selection and natural fitness etc. are all just terms relating to what creatures manage to survive and reproduce and which don't given the enviromental circumstances. Society helping physically disabled people to survive relatively comfortably is not in some way stopping natural selection. It is an example of natural selection. Human society is a part of nature. When we do stuff, it's natural. If some people survive only because of human society, that is natural fitness - they may have died otherwise, but they are naturally fit to survive in an enviroment in which others can help them and take care of them.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, thats like saying in a war you shouldn't tend to anyone with a bullet wound in an effort to create bulletproof humans

ReputationRep:
    I know we don't 'come from' monkeys - my OP was poorly phrased.

We were never taught evolution at science in school.

We were taught about different religions though.

ReputationRep:
    Humans have evolved from a certain species of monkey (now extinct). We are now a species of primate, there are 3 groups, the monkeys, the apes and the hominid (we are hominids but all other species are now extinct). Apes evolved from monkeys and hominids evolved from apes. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the human race more then likely evolved in Africa and eventually humans moved around the globe. We evolved traits such as change in skin colour and dietry needs to fit use to our environment. People who live near the equator are black because of high UV and so they can produce vitamin D and most people in Britain are white because of the low UV risk and because our food contains a lot of vitamin D.

Anyway humans haven't changed much because we have no need to at present. We are a very adaptable species and can adapt to any environment. We won't evolve because we can adapt. If it comes to a stage when the human race is stuggling to survive we might evolve again. Natural selection will ensure individuals with better traits will survive and pass on their genes to their children. Changes and the accumulation of these benefical genes will lead to evolution of a new species if need be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Bear)
    I have heard that in some state it has been. Or is this in a private school of some kind?
    It is taught in some private schools, but not in any state school.

ReputationRep:
    Naturally, without the intervention of man and his medicines, crippled and ill etc people would die. They would be the weak. The strong would survive.

Natural selection is pretty much stagnant in much of the (Western) world. The world is overpopulated and people need to die anyway. We probably won't evolve though, some disaster will happen before then.

And only *******s believe in God. If you had a brain you'd see that there were hundreds, if not thousands of gods thought up and believed in before baby Jesus' father. Now either all of those are false, and for some reason God is REAL and they are not...OR maybe, just maybe human's nature is to explain the world around them. Years ago, before science had developed, people would turn to the supernatural. ie God, Poseidon, Asklepius, Imhotep, Horus, Emuman, Treeman...

Evolution is A LOT more believable than God or creationism.

ReputationRep:
    Evolution is more believable (and experimentally demonstrable) than creationism. The existence (or not) of God doesn't really play a part since he could exist but evolution (without his specific intent for us to evolve!) could be the mechanism which created us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo72)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *insert expletives*

What kind of pathetic syllabus doesn't have evolution on it, in at least some basic form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by City bound)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *insert expletives*

What kind of pathetic syllabus doesn't have evolution on it, in at least some basic form?

GCSE Science about 6-7 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    There was a big bang apparently
    The big bang has nothing to do with evolution...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    The big bang has nothing to do with evolution...
    IIRC someone was asking where the monkey/cells come from.

I was going to the root of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Science about 6-7 years ago.
    You are right GCSE science had no evolution in it at all. We had a bit in A-level Biology, our teacher told us we had to learn it if we believed in it or not. In degree BSc biology I did a 10 credit module last year and I'm doing another this year.

Even though I'm not an atheist, (I'm Agnostic) creationism makes no sense what so ever. God didn't create the world and humans in 7 days, there is scientific evidence that we as a species evolved over time.

What bloody school did you go to!?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? Surely its down to the syllabus isn't it?

Does it matter? Surely its down to the syllabus isn't it?
    I am willing to stake a large amount of money that teaching of evolutionary theory is part of the gsce science syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Evolution cannot possibly be stopped. It's a way of describing what happens to species over a long period of time. As long as there is life, and time is flowing, there is the process of evolution.
    Sort of. Darwin talks about evolution happening more slowly and inconclusively in certain forms of life.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.