Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, theres a turn up for the books...

(Original post by Exeter City Football Club)
    Exeter City FC vs. Brazil

As part of Exeter City FC's centenary celebrations, the non-League club has today confirmed it will host FIFA World Cup Champions Brazil in a special match to be played on May 30th 2004 at St James Park.

Exeter City was the first professional team in the world to play Brazil, as part of The Grecian's post 1913/14 season tour to South America. The CBF (Confederation Brasileira De Futebol) was formulated in 1914.

This match marks the return leg of a game, which was played in Laranjeiras Stadium, Rio, home of Fluminense on 21st July 1914. The match has come from an approach by the Brazilians to recreate the famous match between the two sides in Rio that ended up a 3 - 3 draw.

This incredible occasion will see the 1994 World Cup Champions team, known as the 'Brazil Masters', march out to face Exeter City, a club which is owned by a Supporters Trust and is on the fringe of this year's play offs to get them back in the Football League.

Hosting the Brazilians comes at a cost to Exeter who only last year were on the verge of being bankrupt are now looking for sponsors and donations to ensure this goes ahead to the benefit of the club rather than hampering the club's finances and future.

Ian Huxham Managing Director for Exeter City says:"Having been instrumental in helping to establish football in Brazil, we met the CBF with a view to discussing proposals for a match to take place. At the start, this idea seemed like a dream.

Now, it is reality and we are incredibly excited about this marvellous occasion. We hope to have the full backing of the fans, and people of Exeter to make this the success that will cement the future of professional football in Exeter"

Ticket details for this fixture will be made available soon.
    Romario & Bebeto

Should be good. However £25 a ticket!

ReputationRep:
    Should be an interesting game...I wonder what the score lines would be...

ReputationRep:
    I'm being a steward at this
    I known nothing about football...is it like Brazil Brazil...like the famous team or just some random little team like Exeter City is?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I want to go! (Too bad it's in Exeter). Ollie, go to the match! £25 is nothing. You probably blow that much on drinks alone.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo was part of the '94 team IIRC... will he be playing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    I'm being a steward at this
    I known nothing about football...is it like Brazil Brazil...like the famous team or just some random little team like Exeter City is?
    Brazil is the real brazil I'm guessing. One of the 2 most skillful teams in the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Brazil is the real brazil I'm guessing. One of the 2 most skillful teams in the world!
    oh wow! thats good maybe I could take a picture or something. haha thats really cool. I got asked to volunteer at some event on sunday...then found out what it was and I thought it was some crappy little football team from brazil then I find out its the real brazil team...incredible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Ronaldo was part of the '94 team IIRC... will he be playing?
    is ronaldo the good player that Xenon was talking about?

ReputationRep:
    is ronaldo the good player that Xenon was talking about?
    Ronaldo's a very good player, with goofy teeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    lol good description I'll look out for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    The full squad is: Branco, Silas, Paulo Roberto, Nelsinho, Valber, Mauricinho, Goncalves, Ricardo Rocha, Paulo Sergio, Alexandre Torres, Wellerson, Wagner, Careca, Jorginho, Mazinho, Dunga.
    oh well

ReputationRep:
    It's the World Cup '94 squad, not current. Still, should be quite a spectacle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    It's the World Cup '94 squad, not current. Still, should be quite a spectacle!
    Not too bad! They'll only be 10 years older!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Not too bad! They'll only be 10 years older!
    I'm confuzzled
    so are they good players or bad players?
    the list doesn't contain ronaldo'?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confuzzled
    Ronaldo is a current player. This Brazil team is the same as the one which played exeter in 1994. I dunno how good they were, cos I wasn't too interested in watching football at that time, just playing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confuzzled
    They're good players (enough to win a World Cup), but some will be veterans so might be nearing, or over 40. There'll still be some silky skills, but don't expect the play to be very energetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    They're good players (enough to win a World Cup), but some will be veterans so might be nearing, or over 40. There'll still be some silky skills, but don't expect the play to be very energetic.
    Hmmm, why do I think that even at the age of about 35-40, exeter might still find it a bit tough to beat Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hmmm, why do I think that even at the age of about 35-40, exeter might still find it a bit tough to beat Brazil.
    coz exeter are crap?

ReputationRep:
    Xenon - Ronaldo was in the 1994 World Cup squad though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hehe, I imagine they'd struggle somewhat if they played properly, but it's a centanery match so it won't be very competitive. They might let Exeter win and just show off some snazzy skills to entertain.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.