The Student Room Group

Law Assignments and Word Counts

Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing up an assignment, my second assignment of my first year. I'm really enjoying learning Law but one thing that not only surprises me, but is also pretty annoying is the fact that for my first assignment I only had a 1,500 word count limit, and for the assignment I am currently writing I have 2,000 words to go with!

I can talk and write about Law for ages and I have a lot to say - does anyone else hate the (i'm my opinion, super low word counts?) like I do? I understand that it's still pretty early days and I am sure the limit will be raised at some point, but still I think it makes it a lot harder - maybe that's what the aim is? :confused:
Reply 1
One of the aims for low word counts is exactly to make it more challenging. If a client comes to you with a situation they are in, they will expect the law and your opinion on the case to be clear, concise and not very long to prevent any confusion.

It's great that you are knowledgeable to have a lot to talk about but I have found (third year law) that the word counts are just right. In my first year in formative essays, I used to go way over the word counts and complain to my tutors that there wasn't enough room to express what I needed to say. Turns out, if you go over the word count, it means you're babbling and talking unnessecary bullsh*t.

The word counts are usually more than enough to be clear and concise about the issues you want to raise. Do not go into massive descriptive details that aren't relevant. If you're unsure if it's relevant, cut it out anyway.

You'll get the hand of it in the future. I struggled with word counts at first. The word counts aren't usually raised either, unless you choose to do a dissertation which will be 100% examined by your one essay, so will obviously need to have a high word count. Apart from that, most word counts are 1500. I have never done a higher one. Apply it to the real world, would a client want to read two pages about their divorce proceedings or five that drags out unnecessary rubbish that will confuse them?
Original post by Ahava
One of the aims for low word counts is exactly to make it more challenging. If a client comes to you with a situation they are in, they will expect the law and your opinion on the case to be clear, concise and not very long to prevent any confusion.

It's great that you are knowledgeable to have a lot to talk about but I have found (third year law) that the word counts are just right. In my first year in formative essays, I used to go way over the word counts and complain to my tutors that there wasn't enough room to express what I needed to say. Turns out, if you go over the word count, it means you're babbling and talking unnessecary bullsh*t.

The word counts are usually more than enough to be clear and concise about the issues you want to raise. Do not go into massive descriptive details that aren't relevant. If you're unsure if it's relevant, cut it out anyway.

You'll get the hand of it in the future. I struggled with word counts at first. The word counts aren't usually raised either, unless you choose to do a dissertation which will be 100% examined by your one essay, so will obviously need to have a high word count. Apart from that, most word counts are 1500. I have never done a higher one. Apply it to the real world, would a client want to read two pages about their divorce proceedings or five that drags out unnecessary rubbish that will confuse them?

Hello Ahava,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate that.

It's nice to meet someone who's studying Law and that's senior on TSR. I've finished my assignment now and my word count was 1,960 - so I suppose it was ok. I guess I just feel like I need to say more, but as you've said in your post, it's probably the correct amount. :smile:
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing up an assignment, my second assignment of my first year. I'm really enjoying learning Law but one thing that not only surprises me, but is also pretty annoying is the fact that for my first assignment I only had a 1,500 word count limit, and for the assignment I am currently writing I have 2,000 words to go with!

I can talk and write about Law for ages and I have a lot to say - does anyone else hate the (i'm my opinion, super low word counts?) like I do? I understand that it's still pretty early days and I am sure the limit will be raised at some point, but still I think it makes it a lot harder - maybe that's what the aim is? :confused:

Not a law student but the word counts you describe are typical at most unis for social sciences and humanities, especially in the first couple of years. The reason for such a low word count is to make sure you answer the question rather than just talking about everything you know about law. Normally I find the word counts are enough to make the most important points and its not necessary to get in every last point on a topic.
Original post by jelly1000
Not a law student but the word counts you describe are typical at most unis for social sciences and humanities, especially in the first couple of years. The reason for such a low word count is to make sure you answer the question rather than just talking about everything you know about law. Normally I find the word counts are enough to make the most important points and its not necessary to get in every last point on a topic.

I think you're correct. I had just under 100 words left to use on my assignment (which I handed in today) and I believe I managed to all the questions in full. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending