The Student Room Group

Law essays

How much academic names and cases and depth are you expected to put into a constitutional law essay?

I am in first year law by the way.
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by Koizora1234
How much academic names and cases and depth are you expected to put into a constitutional law essay?

I am in first year law by the way.

Hi, for constitutional law, like other law essays, you would be expected to put in as many cases as you can. You don't need to go into detail for them all but every point you make should be backed up by a case name, eg 'EU law is supreme over national law' (Costa v Enel). And then something like 'Craig argues this is...' and relate your answer to the question.

I'd say put in more cases than academic names so it doesn't look like you're using other people's arguments all the time. If it's a 9/10 page essay, 5ish academics should be enough, but you'll potentially need >20 cases depending on the topic. For depth, only go into detail on the most important cases and the ones that are open to debate or criticism

hope that helps, I did constitutional/public law last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending