Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_27)
    LOL! My story is slightly different, but....

I felt exactly like that when my the head of my first 3 years of school told me that I was thick and dyslexic (in the days when dyslexia was translated into thick) and had a speech impediment. I did a test for dyslexia, saw an educational psychologist and did various tests with her and went to a speech therapist. They told me I wasn't dyslexic, nor was I thick and I didn't have a speech problem. Yet this head maintained that I was and made me have extra lessons for reading/writing and made me see a speech therapist just so that she didn't kick me out of this school.

I always said that when I got my GCSEs I was going to go and shove them in her face to show her that she was wrong about me (she said I'd never get into the secondary school amongst other things). Though unfortunately I underperformed and so I didn't really feel like doing that anymore plus she left that year so I couldn't anyway.

But she always came to the prize giving at my school every year and this year I got one of the subject prizes, I saw her afterwards moving towards me smiling, I quickly moved away to prevent myself from saying anything rude to her. It took 14 years to prove to her that I was worth something; people like that shouldn't be allowed into the teaching profession especially if they're planning to teach 4-7 year olds.
    Well it wasn't teachers with me, my teachers in school were fantastic. They helped me in lessons, never said I was thick and just plain great.

It was simply those experts I went to when I was four and five and they said that I was thick and would never amount to anything. God I would love to see their faces now.

ReputationRep:
    I have dyslexia, and I think the main the thing to remember is that it does not mean you're stupid! Sorry if this sounds patronising, but in some cases it can cause low self-esteem, and has in several people I know. It just means your brain works in a different way to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy)
    ive been told ive got moderate dyslexia (didnt know you could get different strengths of it). so yey go me.

has anyone else got it?

any tips and advice on overcoming it?
    yeah ive got it.

think of it as a gift

and its never affected you before.....so why let it now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well it wasn't teachers with me, my teachers in school were fantastic. They helped me in lessons, never said I was thick and just plain great.

It was simply those experts I went to when I was four and five and they said that I was thick and would never amount to anything. God I would love to see their faces now.
    i was in resource (special ed) for three years......becuse i couldn't read until i was 8.

and then i was given the GATE (gifted and talented ed) test and passed with flying colors etc.

and now i'm the captain of the science team and all all-state academian.

and i don't even work hard. dyslexia is amazing......especially for maths with me....everything just sort of revolves and makes sense. =/

hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yeah ive got it.

think of it as a gift

and its never affected you before.....so why let it now?
    thing is, it has. in my GCSE's i was put in the stupid classes for english (well not stupid, but not as good as every other subject), and because of this it made it even harder for me to get a decent grade, which then disabled me from doing English Lit at A level...

ReputationRep:
    someone just gave me bad rep for this thread... didnt realise i was doing anything wrong lol :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.