The Student Room Group

a quick english question

I have to make a presentation on how typical a romantic poet keats was, in his style and thoughts.

I reckon he is pretty typical, but he was less political in his poetry than some of the others.

I found a quote from Bysshe Shelly's poem ozzymandias and I was just wondering if anyone could help me explain and understand it

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Whats it about?? Is it about like.. revolution and stuff? Or am i just wrong??

Also, just a few words on how typical a romantic poet Keats is, if you have any good ideas

Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Keats was a very typical Romantic poet!
Think specifically about.. extensive use of sensuous imagery, sensuAL imagery (see Eve of St.Agnes in particular).. the use of natural references, (On The Sea; how he believes nature can help ease human suffering!!) ummm he talks about fantasy and the imagination a lot which is very Romantic (see La Belle Dame Sans Merci for both) his dislike of change and many allusions to impermenance, (Ode to a Grecian Urn, perhaps).. all of those are typically Romantic, the lack of politics is a prominent aspect too. And his use of the Ode style which was developed by Romantic poets.. the way in which he's predominantly different is regarding his preoccupation with mortality and [his own] death. (Ode to Melancholy/ A Nightingale). I might be wrong in this but the Romantic Poets didn't tend to talk much about death did they? They tried to evade reality. Plus, Keats based a lot of his work on his personal experiences of pain etc.
OK that's more than "a few words" but it might help!
Reply 2
Ozymandias is arguably centred on the impermenence of certain worldy achievements. Ozymandias is supposed to have been a very powerful ruler, but nothing remains of him except a statue which mocks his vanity and pride.

Where the interpretation should go from there is a lot more uncertain. I'd argue that the relationship of the statue to the poem itself is important - the poem is Shelley's monument and is far more lasting.

Latest

Trending

Trending