KatieRose929292
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I am hoping there are a few fellow student nurses (ex or current) who can help me.

I have a BA(Hons) degree (2011-2014) and I am now on the PGDip course (2014-2016) but I really want to study Medicine. At first I loved nursing but now I feel that I am more interested in being a doctor and find medicine fascinating.

Are there any student nurses (prefably from PGDip) who are planning on going into medicine or any ex-student nurses who are currently studying medicine straight from being a student nurse? Please can you explain what prep work you have done or are undertaking and how you med school process was?

I feel I cannot talk to anyone about this-especially on my placement!

Any advice/help/stories will be appreciated
Advertisement
SarahGummer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

I am a nurse currently studying medicine. I didn't do PGDip, I did the nursing diploma when I was 18 then topped up to degree in critical care nursing, worked for several years and decided to apply for medicine, I got 4 offers
What is making you move towards medicine as opposed to nursing?
You really have two options. You apply using your previous degree (assuming it is a 2.1 or above) and cut your losses with your nursing qual, or finish the PGDip and apply for medicine after. It really depends how much you are enjoying your course.
Issues you are likely to face is the fact that nursing is so heavily funded, some universities do have the view point that you should work for a while to repay some of this. However there is a nurse on my course who started straight after nursing, without working in between, so it does vary.

How did you do on your GCSE's and a levels? I would strongly advise that whichever path you choose to go down you contact medical schools before applying to check your situation fits their entry criteria

Sarah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.25%
I'm not sure (32)
4.28%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (233)
31.19%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (365)
48.86%

Watched Threads