Finding various ageing stars from local galaxies

Watch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can anyone give some advice on finding sources to help look for how young stars are found in galaxies using next generation ground telescopes?

I have some knowledge but it feels quite half arsed and I'm interested in knowing more. I know young stars characteristically burn hydrogen. I know that the heaviest metal you can form in stars is iron (anything higher requires energy added in).

Why do some papers have various plots of hydrogen, magnesium and iron spectral lines against each other?

Why is just looking for hydrogen spectral lines not enough?

I understand metalicity changes as stars form but why do people need to "decouple metalicity from age"? How would you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This seems like you're asking about stellar populations.

the earliest division of stellar populations made by astronomers was into population I and population II :

pop I - high metalicity
pop II - low metalicity

the system has been expanded and refined since

confusingly we now think pop I is young stars and pop II is old stars (I think this is the opposite of what they had in mind when they came up with the naming convention)

Basic principle is that the amount of metal in the universe always increases over time because stars work by turning H into heavier elements which are then blown off them at the end of their life - therefore the more metal a star contains, the more recently it formed.

I'd advise you to search on stellar populations and metalicity e.g. http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast122/lectures/lec26.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (97)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (289)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (204)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (269)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (84)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.78%
Loneliness (165)
8.59%
Financial worries (68)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (85)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (91)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (106)
5.52%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (169)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (183)
9.53%

Watched Threads