Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Quite right. They were rather shocked when for one plane involved in the September 11 attack, the system didn't send the alarm bells off when 4 men of Arabic appearance bought tickets for a plane mere minutes before take off, and all in the one cash transaction.
    a Democrat ruling prevents racial profiling....airport security would have not been allowed to prevent the men from boarding based on this kind of suspicion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a Democrat ruling prevents racial profiling....airport security would have not been allowed to prevent the men from boarding based on this kind of suspicion.
    Wrong. There have been similar instances prior to this, and it would have been no exception. There is an old saying of 'safety is no accident', and when this gets brought up, most thoughts of wrong doing tend to go out the window. The very least they could have done would to have conducted a search of the men. (Edit - and given them a later flight with refund if found to be innocent) I find it rather hard to believe that a hijacking of a plane can be effictively carried out without any kind of weaponry, and these men apparently had weaponry of some description. Hence, you are no longer allowed to even carry nail clippers on a plane in most airlines, whereas you used to be able to carry a four inch blade not so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I think someone's a bit confused about their medals. And it's not me.

The most recent recipient of the GC is Trooper Christopher Finney, The Blues and Royals. The award of his George Cross, for bravery in saving a comrade during the Iraq War in March 2003, was announced in the Supplement to The London Gazette of 30 October 2003.

As a matter of fact, of the 156 direct GC awards, 51 have gone to civilians.

I think what you mean is that the VC is the preserve of the military whereas the GC can be awarded to a serviceman or civilian.

Anyway, hope that's cleared that up.

As for the daft bint we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Personally, I think it made English tourists look a bit ***** though.
    Quite right about the VC and GC, I should have perhaps said that civilians weren't allowed to be given the VC. Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Wrong.
    are you disagreeing with a policy that currently exists in the United States, that would prevent more than two Arab males from undergoing secondary questioning before boarding a flight?

ReputationRep:
    clueless, absolutely cluelesss....
    Is that an admition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Is that an admition?
    no, an observation..

ReputationRep:
    Would someone mind telling me why Bush really did commit a war crime by invading Iraq?

ReputationRep:
    no, an observation..
    Please answer the next post please, and also note that there was evidence to suggest that no supposed weapons of mass destruction existed in Iraq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Would someone mind telling me why Bush really did commit a war crime by invading Iraq?
    would someone point out the war crime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Please answer the next post please, and also note that there was evidence to suggest that no supposed weapons of mass destruction existed in Iraq
    someone should have told the planet earth.

and you havent answered my previous one that you so clearly labelled as 'Wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    are you disagreeing with a policy that currently exists in the United States, that would prevent more than two Arab males from undergoing secondary questioning before boarding a flight?
    I am disagreeing with it. There have been quite a few events that have gone against such policy, and when they were being sorted out the saying 'safety is no accident' seemed to be the quick fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I am disagreeing with it. There have been quite a few events that have gone against such policy, and when they were being sorted out the saying 'safety is no accident' seemed to be the quick fix.
    can you give me examples of these 'events'? pre- 9/11 of course.

ReputationRep:
    can you give me examples of these 'events'? pre- 9/11 of course.
    Sure. Look up the Sydney Morning Herald website. I think a google search brings it up on the first page. The incidents in question were detailed about 3-4 months prior to 9/11 in a 3 page special. Hope that helps, and I can't be sure, but I think Rumsfeld (sp) may have been mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Sure. Look up the Sydney Morning Herald website. I think a google search brings it up on the first page. The incidents in question were detailed about 3-4 months prior to 9/11 in a 3 page special. Hope that helps, and I can't be sure, but I think Rumsfeld (sp) may have been mentioned.
    perhaps you could provide a link, bearing in mind google finds it so prominent.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you could provide a link, bearing in mind google finds it so prominent.
    Righto, I'll do a search. Will PM it to you if I find it and you're gone. I tend to buy the actual newspapers you see, as they are very handy for heaters in winter Hopefully this will be quick.

ReputationRep:
    News Store allows you to search Fairfax publications and ASX company announcements from 1990 to today. It's free to search, however a small charge applies if you want to view the full text of an article. More...

Charges Apply
    The page you have requested has a charge of:
    $1.65
    View Document

Guess I'll have to yield on this one on account of not being willing to apply for one little article. Though it did seem to be the one I remember. Sorry vienna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    News Store allows you to search Fairfax publications and ASX company announcements from 1990 to today. It's free to search, however a small charge applies if you want to view the full text of an article. More...

Charges Apply
    The page you have requested has a charge of:
    $1.65
    View Document

Guess I'll have to yield on this one on account of not being willing to apply for one little article. Though it did seem to be the one I remember. Sorry vienna
    Big mistake Sire, apologising to Vienna, especially when there is no need.

She would never apologise to anyone even when she is blatantly wrong. You are too much of a gentlemen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Big mistake Sire, apologising to Vienna, especially when there is no need.

She would never apologise to anyone even when she is blatantly wrong. You are too much of a gentlemen
    *chuckles* I try, but the fact is that my memory isn't good enough to quote from the article, and there is no way I'm subscribing to a website for one article. *shrugs* Either way, I can't prove my point. Thanks for the compliment though, very kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *chuckles* I try, but the fact is that my memory isn't good enough to quote from the article, and there is no way I'm subscribing to a website for one article. *shrugs* Either way, I can't prove my point. Thanks for the compliment though, very kind
    Can I ask you, seeing as you're on this thread - are the queenslanders generally considered to be right-wing?

I'm sure I remember reading an article in Melbourne's 'the age' that they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Can I ask you, seeing as you're on this thread - are the queenslanders generally considered to be right-wing?

I'm sure I remember reading an article in Melbourne's 'the age' that they are.
    That I think relates to Joe Peterson's reign as Premier of Queensland. He was a right wing hick who always wore an Akubra stockmans hat in public, despite not knowing how to ride a horse. But he got voted out some years ago, and Pauline Hanson was another right wing activist to come from Queensland in recent years, so I guess there is a bit of that. Victorians aka Mexicans seem to cop a lot of flak about this too. New South Wales is basically a snobbish state really I guess. We label everyone But as far as Premiers go. Victoria seems to have the best one ever, and he has been doing it nigh on 15 years now.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.