Comprehensive Schools vs Private/ Grammar Schools for Oxbridge

Watch
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In a made up scenerio, would it be better to be evidently the best at a decent Comprehensive school or be at a Grammar school, get slightly better grades but not be near best in school? Mainly for Oxbridge I think is the more interesting topic, though I guess for elsewhere it's similar. Similarly, all this stuff like being on free school meals, does that help applications in the slightest?
Dexterous
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At the end of the day, both Oxford and Cambridge want the best applicant to succeed into their universities. So regardless of school, you need to do well academically to progress into Oxbridge, although they do take into account Socio-economic factors/Contextual data which does slightly influence their decision.
Exceptional
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In the eyes of Oxbridge:

10 A*s at GCSE and 5 A's at AS is more impressive at a comprehensive than a private school especially.

But, statistically you're more likely to get the 10 A*s and 5 A's at a private school, so you should weigh up the two if you're deciding.

A lot of Grammar schools require fees, such as Leeds Grammar (GSAL), but there's also admissions tests. So in essence it's a private school for intelligent children.

The Grammar school I'm at isn't fee paying and does better than GSAL, although only 3 or 4 people get into Oxbridge a year on average, compared to 16 at GSAL.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
In the eyes of Oxbridge:

10 A*s at GCSE and 5 A's at AS is more impressive at a comprehensive than a private school especially.

But, statistically you're more likely to get the 10 A*s and 5 A's at a private school, so you should weigh up the two if you're deciding.

A lot of Grammar schools require fees, such as Leeds Grammar (GSAL), but there's also admissions tests. So in essence it's a private school for intelligent children.

The Grammar school I'm at isn't fee paying and does better than GSAL, although only 3 or 4 people get into Oxbridge a year on average, compared to 16 at GSAL.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Btw you don't need 5 AS Levels xD Nor 10 A*s at GCSE
Exceptional
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joe12345marc)
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Btw you don't need 5 AS Levels xD Nor 10 A*s at GCSE
Of course not, it was just an example
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
Of course not, it was just an example
Cool just checking xD Just so people reading don't get confused or mislead. I remember when I first started thinking about aiming for Oxbridge, all the rumors about needing 20 A*s in year 9 and to do 4 A levels early xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (63)
22.42%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.81%
I'm really nervous (55)
19.57%

Watched Threads