Testing for exponential relationship graphically

Watch
Mutleybm1996
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

Could you possibly give your opinion on whether this graph of -ln(viscosity) over Temperature would represent an exponential relationship? It seems to be a straight enough line, however i wanted your opinion.

Thank you
Attached files
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mutleybm1996)
Hi all,

Could you possibly give your opinion on whether this graph of -ln(viscosity) over Temperature would represent an exponential relationship? It seems to be a straight enough line, however i wanted your opinion.

Thank you
looks like it
what module is this for?
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
looks like it
what module is this for?
None, it's for Physics.
But I always get quicker responses from the Maths forum and it crosses into mathematics so I posted it here instead...I hope that's okay!

This is the original graph, would you say that it's exponential. I was wondering if the bit at the bottom(where it levels off) may become more..linear..for use of a better term?
Could i somehow analyse this, by looking at the gradient at different points etc?
Attached files
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
None, it's for Physics.
But I always get quicker responses from the Maths forum and it crosses into mathematics so I posted it here instead...I hope that's okay!

This is the original graph, would you say that it's exponential. I was wondering if the bit at the bottom(where it levels off) may become more..linear..for use of a better term?
no, probably not, exponentials level off very fast
its usually ok because of the cross overs between maths and physics
I only asked out of curiosity because maths log law questions are less detailed on the units
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
about using the gradient, there aren't enough data points for this to be reliable
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
no, probably not, exponentials level off very fast
its usually ok because of the cross overs between maths and physics
I only asked out of curiosity because maths log law questions are less detailed on the units
So, taking logs suggests that it's exponential. However, upon looking at the graph it doesn't appear to be?
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So, taking logs suggests that it's exponential. However, upon looking at the graph it doesn't appear to be?
sorry I meant that it probably wasn't significant and the graph is probably exponential
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
sorry I meant that it probably wasn't significant and the graph is probably exponential
Thank you
This was of great help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise