The Student Room Group

Conservation/diving abroad

Hi so I finished my degree last July in Biology mostly focused on conservation. In summer 2013 I went to Mexico with Operation Wallacea to do jungle and coral reef conservation out there and realized I want to keep doing it. At the moment I am in an office job and in the new year I want to start looking into trips abroad similar to that but for longer time periods and preferably paid or at least paid accommodation/food etc.

The problem is I have looked around on the internet a lot and there are so many places/companies to go with and I am just not sure what to do. My main passion is SCUBA diving. My plan is to gain experience and hopefully get an actual job doing conservation with it.

Anyway my point of this post is to find any help with this from people that have been on any trips abroad and whether it helped them get into jobs afterwards?

Cheers
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Reply 2
Hi Tom,

I was wondering if you could give some adive on the Opwall trip you went on. I am looking to go on the one to Mexico, but could you tell me if it is actually useful for gaining valuable conservation skills?

Cheers
Original post by smiffy613
Hi Tom,

I was wondering if you could give some adive on the Opwall trip you went on. I am looking to go on the one to Mexico, but could you tell me if it is actually useful for gaining valuable conservation skills?

Cheers

Hi Smiffy,

Mexico was great, wasnt cheap though (at all) but overall was worth it. Just the sights you get to see themselves are worth the 10 hour flight. The best part for me was the SCUBA diving though I would recommend that more than the jungle expedition although that was amazing also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending