The Student Room Group

Different work options for gap year - Au pair, english teaching, hostel worker?

Hi everyone. I'm applying to uni next year, but I'm already starting to think about how I want to spend my gap year.

What I really want to do is work abroad. I do want and need to be working (need to $$), and I'm considering several options. I'm just putting down a couple of options and would really like to hear about the pros and cons, and how to obtain one of these jobs/whether it's possible/whether anyone's done it. I'm in the US, so taking a gap year is a really foreign concept here, and I'm hoping some people have had experience with gap years working abroad.

I speak English and Spanish, and I'm opening to working pretty much everywhere in the world except English-speaking countries. I would really love to work in Turkey or Brazil, but honestly I'm open to anywhere. I would really like something long-term, I'd like to really get involved instead of just doing 4 eight-week gigs or something like that (plus I don't want to have expensive traveling-between-jobs costs).

Au pairing - pros are that getting a job seems fairly straight-forward, I don't mind kids, the host family would pay for my living costs. Cons are that it may be a bit difficult to find another job if I end up with a not-great family, and it may be difficult to have a lot of independence while living with a host family

Working in a hostel or something like that - I feel like this would be really awesome, but I don't know if it's really possible to get a hostel job abroad as an eighteen-year-old girl with no hospitality experience. I do speak English and Spanish so maybe I could get a job in a Spanish-speaking country. Pros are that I would have plenty of independence, and living costs paid for.

English teaching - I'm not quite as interested in this as the other two ideas. Is it possible to get an English teaching job abroad as an 18 year old? I have a bit of teaching experience. The pros are that I enjoy teaching, but the cons are that I would probably have to pay all of my own expenses and to be honest teaching is a bit exhausting.

Obviously, I can google any of these jobs and read about them, but I would really like to hear from someone who has managed to or considered doing any of these things during a gap year. What did you do, how did you find the job, and how was your experience?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Browse HelpX for hostelling jobs, au pairing isnt great for independence and English teaching is something you either like or you dont, so hostelling seems the best for you
Reply 3
Hey, although I'm based in England... my family have set up a hostel in Colombo, Sri Lanka. We're looking for young group of travellers to work in the hostel part time. We'll give free accommodation and time to explore the country at your leisure!

The hostel is new and you will play a massive part in how its branded for the future... let me know if you're interested?
Original post by evan241
Hi everyone. I'm applying to uni next year, but I'm already starting to think about how I want to spend my gap year.

What I really want to do is work abroad. I do want and need to be working (need to $$), and I'm considering several options. I'm just putting down a couple of options and would really like to hear about the pros and cons, and how to obtain one of these jobs/whether it's possible/whether anyone's done it. I'm in the US, so taking a gap year is a really foreign concept here, and I'm hoping some people have had experience with gap years working abroad.

I speak English and Spanish, and I'm opening to working pretty much everywhere in the world except English-speaking countries. I would really love to work in Turkey or Brazil, but honestly I'm open to anywhere. I would really like something long-term, I'd like to really get involved instead of just doing 4 eight-week gigs or something like that (plus I don't want to have expensive traveling-between-jobs costs).

Au pairing - pros are that getting a job seems fairly straight-forward, I don't mind kids, the host family would pay for my living costs. Cons are that it may be a bit difficult to find another job if I end up with a not-great family, and it may be difficult to have a lot of independence while living with a host family

Working in a hostel or something like that - I feel like this would be really awesome, but I don't know if it's really possible to get a hostel job abroad as an eighteen-year-old girl with no hospitality experience. I do speak English and Spanish so maybe I could get a job in a Spanish-speaking country. Pros are that I would have plenty of independence, and living costs paid for.

English teaching - I'm not quite as interested in this as the other two ideas. Is it possible to get an English teaching job abroad as an 18 year old? I have a bit of teaching experience. The pros are that I enjoy teaching, but the cons are that I would probably have to pay all of my own expenses and to be honest teaching is a bit exhausting.

Obviously, I can google any of these jobs and read about them, but I would really like to hear from someone who has managed to or considered doing any of these things during a gap year. What did you do, how did you find the job, and how was your experience?

Evan how are you?

We can help here.

We'd love you to come and do AmeriCamp, but for Au Pairing check out www.AmeriAuPair.com

Also you can teach as an 18 year old it's just a slightly different process, but check out www.ThaiJobc.co.uk as you could apply with them.

Hope this is of some use.

#AmeriChristmas x
Reply 5
Workaway, WWOOF, Helpx are great sites to find a host.

I'm going to Cambodia and onto Indonesia next month- doing hostel work, cafe, etc.. and i only have to pay for my flights :smile:

Have fun!
Reply 6
Thank you for all of the responses! I live in the US, so I definitely wouldn't be doing anything in the US. I'll probably try to do something in Turkey or Brazil.
I'm currently au pairing on a gap year, it's been a pretty great year so far. I'm a Brit doing it in the US and it's been great getting to explore a new country, I love it so much and have made so many amazing friends. It's really been the best experience ever!! There is way more independence than you'd think, especially if you get use of a car (I don't, but even then I can walk to the train etc so it's really independent and the host families treat you maturely). I think this is way more independent than being at university is cause you're alone in a new country.. Also I had the experience of rematching families and it ended up brilliant, the agency were wonderful and I ended up with a way better family than the first bad one. The kids can be difficult at times, but the free time is so worth it for me.
Reply 8
I used a new agency called "live out pair valencia" , where basically they put all au pairs in a flat so you can live with other girls instead of the family. It's so much better cause then when you have time off you can do whatever you want - they're on facebook you should check them out! I'm having an amazingg time here. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest