Turn on thread page Beta

What do you do to cold callers? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    jehova's witnesses are bloody funny to chat to. The last couple who came here i ended up chatting to for about half an hour.
    when i was about 7, my mum was out with her friend and my dad was upstairs working. my mum's friend called the house phone and told me there were jehova's witnesses coming down the road and not to open the door to them. Not having a clue what they were, me and my sister put a load of duvets and sleeping bags as a 'fort' type thing at the end of out corridoor at the top of the stars spying to the front door. we made a whole game around it. they never came

this guy i know once spoke to a double glaze person on the hpone for about half an hour saying how hed love to get some but last time he tried, his parents smashed them..blah bah blah. the person felt so sorry for him at the beginning and by the end ended up hanging up. awww

ReputationRep:
    I tell them not to waste their time trying to sell me stuff, because if I want anything I go and buy it, I don't wait to be called. But then I ask them how their day has been, where they are calling from etc. They are doing a crappy job for what is often crappy pay. Being nice to them costs nothing, and it might even bring a smile to their faces'.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a major problem with them. My phone blocks calls from phones that don't have id so most switchboad phones can't get through.

I also don't get JW's knocking on the door. They keep a list of houses not to call at so I asked to be put on the list. It's quite funny to see them nock on everyone else's door but not mine.

I did once have a guy knock on the door and ask "Is your mummy or daddy in?" At the time I was 26 and owned the house. When I told him that he just went red and walked off. I think he realised he wasn't going to make a sale.

When I was still living at my parents someone called to try to sell double glazing. I pointed out that the house already had double glazing and then pointed to the estate agent's 'sold' sign in the garden.

What I don't understand is the ones on the phone who get aggressive if you say 'no thank you'. You've already said 'no' so shouting isn't going to change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine actually has a hold button on his phone, so puts them on a loop for half an hour (and this phone only has a 20 second loop, which would drive you insane). Another option is to simply wind them up. One of my dad's friends spent half an hour asking the poor bloke from British gas how their home alarm systems could possibly run off gas. Then, when he finally "got the message", he said that he'd had a burglar alarm for 3 years, but he's glad that he cleared it up for him.

ReputationRep:
    I just say "sorry I'm only 12 and my parents are at work," even if it's late in the evening, despite the fact I'm 18 and probably sound 40.

ReputationRep:
    I hate cold callers.....sure it's a hard boring job but they call you at the most inconvenient times and never take no for an answer.

If they ask me if i would like to buy some double glazing or insurance i say "Yes, please" (enthusiastically!!) and then put the phone down! Does the trick everytime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    Well, what do you do to cold callers?

We get loads here and I normally just pretend to get my mum/dad and then leave to phone for 10 minutes.
    I find out what they are selling, and then tell them I am from a rival company, that shuts them up.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them I'm busy at the moment but if they leave me their number I'll call back later.

Hum down the phone.

Get the rape alarm and pull out the peg - direct it down the receiver (bit harsh!)

Ask them if they want to buy any of the sh*t that you're selling

ReputationRep:
    Last time someone tried to sell me double glazing over the phone, I just said "We don't have any windows, sorry."

The silence and the confused "...you don't have any windows?" was quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Tell them I'm busy at the moment but if they leave me their number I'll call back later.

Hum down the phone.

Get the rape alarm and pull out the peg - direct it down the receiver (bit harsh!)

Ask them if they want to buy any of the sh*t that you're selling
    You really don't like them do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You really don't like them do you?
    Who do they think they are intruding into my house and expecting to be listened to? Plus, how do you know they're from a real company? Phoning you up every evening (to check when you're in), asking if you've got double glazing at the front/back of your house (to see which is easier to break in through), asking about your insurance/savings accounts...

ReputationRep:
    I just say 'sorry, you have the wrong number. I think you were suppose to call somebody who gives a damn.'

ReputationRep:
    Spread the word....

www.tpsonline.org.uk

Takes two minutes and stops 99.9% of all nuisance callers.

We used to get calls for my dead great-uncle three or four times a week, plus a similar number for ourselves. We registered with TPS in October 2003, and since then we've had one call, from abroad.

The best thing about it is that it is illegal to cold-call anyone who is on the list, so if you do get called you can tell them that they are breaking the law, and could you have their name and address so you can pass their details on to your solicitor....

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I just put the phone down or don't answer the door.
    Sometimes I pass the phone over or call my parents.
    When I get really mad my face goes into ultra pissed off mode and will say anything to anyone usually involving a long list of swear words.
    I have used the hold button before.
    My mum treatened to call the police.
    Or stand near the door so they can see you but don't answer.
    Once my grandad arranged for a quote [one of these supposed free ones] and then was out and send them to the wrong house. :cool: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Usually this...

"Um sorry, we are in the middle of a funeral at the moment, and you want to sell me morgage advice. You insensitive prick! Are you mad?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    Well, what do you do to cold callers?

We get loads here and I normally just pretend to get my mum/dad and then leave to phone for 10 minutes.
    I just go 'uh huh, uh huh, ok, thanks, bye'

ReputationRep:
    lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Amateur_shrink)
    Spread the word....

www.tpsonline.org.uk

Takes two minutes and stops 99.9% of all nuisance callers.

We used to get calls for my dead great-uncle three or four times a week, plus a similar number for ourselves. We registered with TPS in October 2003, and since then we've had one call, from abroad.

The best thing about it is that it is illegal to cold-call anyone who is on the list, so if you do get called you can tell them that they are breaking the law, and could you have their name and address so you can pass their details on to your solicitor....
    Thank you very much - really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Very nice idea. Might go out and buy an alarm just for such purposes.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.