Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Is anyone else wondering wheather to have a Gap Year or not?! I'm totally unsure whether to and really need to decide becasue i've got to send my application off! Most probably i'll just work to earn lots of money (becuase i have none) but is this totally a waste of a year?

ReputationRep:
    Working to earn money is not a total waste of a year. If you think money is going to be an issue then maybe you should but personally I'd leave the leave down to how you personally feel about uni. When I decided to take one it was because I knew that by the end of the year I was not going to be able to go to uni and be studying for another 3 years after only a 3 month break. I knew I was going to need more time and just generally I knew I wanted a break from education; a chance to do something I wanted to do and not feel pressurised for once in my life.

If you're really unsure and just want to send your application off then you could leave it as undeferred and then if you later decide to take a gap year, contact your univesities and defer your entry. Its very rare that they aren't obliging, one of my friends deferred her entry 6 days before Results Day last day and her university was fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know to be honest, and my application went off weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    My view: What's the rush to get on with your life?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i'll probably sent my application off and then see if i want one later.

ReputationRep:
    Further to what Belle mentioned above - by all means, send it off and defer later on when you have had time to think about it. A friend of mine actually informed his firm choice (Kent) of deferring after results day, which they were perfectly fine about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugardaddy)
    Further to what Belle mentioned above - by all means, send it off and defer later on when you have had time to think about it. A friend of mine actually informed his firm choice (Kent) of deferring after results day, which they were perfectly fine about.
    Yes, they may perfectly understand why you would want to defer - they must be aware more than anyone of how stressful A-levels are and therefore it seems sensible sometimes to take a year out. Anyway, it gives you an entire year to do whatever you want with your life (well, within reason).

But yes, defering later when you've made your mind up sounds like good advice.

ReputationRep:
    i no what you mean I really can't decide, part of me wants the break and the different new experience, but another part of me just really wants to go to uni - also theres the feeling of not wanting to be left behind - tho thats just a silly reason! :P

ReputationRep:
    No i know what you mean, nearly all of my friends will be going to uni next year, so thats like vertually no social life for a year! But yeah i just thought maybe i should have a gap year to raise some money, but i just really want to go to uni. I think i've decided that i'll just go, and maybe have a gap year if i decide to later or if my grades weren't good enough. It's hard isn't it!

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.