Should we change English spelling to match the sound of words?

Watch
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.theguardian.com/media/min...P=share_btn_tw

Don't even get me started on the pronunciation of worcester compared to the spelling!
Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a person who had to learn English as a foreign language, suffering due to all its illogical rules (or lack thereof) I still believe some of its beauty lies in the complexity of the pronunciation. It seems to me that every word has a story to it, be it a story of mistaken spelling from 300 years ago or interesting ethymology
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Phonetic spelling?

I don't think it's possible. So no.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why? Everything is fine as it is.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, I quite like the charm of English's weird spelling and pronunciation.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. English is an amazing language which should be preserved.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
http://www.theguardian.com/media/min...P=share_btn_tw

Don't even get me started on the pronunciation of worcester compared to the spelling!
Related:

Spoiler:
Show
Directors at Daimler Benz and Chrysler have announced an agreement to adopt English as the preferred language for communications, rather than German, which was another possibility.
As part of the negotiations, directors at Chrysler conceded that English spelling has some room for improvement and have accepted a five-year phase-in plan.
In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but komputers have one less letter.
There will be growing kompany enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 persent shorter.
In the third year, DaimlerKhrysler akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are possible.
DaimlerKhrysler will enkourage the removal of double letters, whish have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"'s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.
By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps sush as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" by "v".
During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be droped from vords kontaining "o", and similar shanges vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis, and employes vil find it ezi to kommunikat viz eash ozer.
Ov kors al supliers vil be expekted to us zis for all busines komunikation via DaimlerKhrysler.
Ze drem vil finali kum tru ….
Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
miser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When something's awkward, stupid and generally terrible, but we like it anyway, we say it has "character".

Character is not awkward, stupid or generally terrible, ergo the English language is not these things either, therefore on closer inspection the English language is actually okay and we should get on with business as usual.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only if you don't mind the fact that you'd have to teach everyone how to read and write again from scratch, and translate every book ever published in this country to the new spelling. It might make learning English easier in the long term, but in the short term it would be absolute hell to those of us who already know it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (573)
34.33%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (687)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.01%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.49%

Watched Threads