cool or a stain on english football?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruffian)
    cool or a stain on english football?
    Both.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not cool.

ReputationRep:
    A small minority that only attach themselves to football clubs for the primmary goal of fighting rather than watching football.

ReputationRep:
    True a very small minority, but they can do big things through there hooliganism. Life time bans from football arenas should be given to every holligan (not practical i know) but they embarass the Country and whenever England go to play abroad all we here in the run up to the game is Are Our Fans Going to Behave?. True is gradually fading from our English supporters abroad but i think the real test will come this summer at Euro 2004 when.. lets hope we dont get the repeat of what Hapened in Belgium in 2000.

ReputationRep:
    England will be disqualified from the tournament if the hooligans repeat their performance. how annoying would that be?

ReputationRep:
    hooliganism is huge, even wigan have a firm and they only have about 3000 fans :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's vile. The hooligans clearly have no interest in the game they are just there to cause trouble. It seems to be only football that attracts such sordid characters ie there are certainly no Burberry cap(FAKE) wearing bums at the rugby.

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression that hooliganism was dying out. However, over the last season I have witnessed increasing violent conduct of some fans at Stockport County, a team I have watched weekly for many years now. Its a shame as Stockport County used to be able to pride itself on being the 'Family Football Club'. It can no longer look any other club in the eye and say this as almost every week when I'm walking home after the game I witness confrontations with the Police or opposing fans, some of which can be very violent (a severe stabbing at Stockport train station against Sheffield Wednesday, massive brawl in the pub after Oldham with glasses flying about everywhere). For a club which used to be one of the only clubs in the Football League which did not require a Police presence inside the stadium up until our promotion to Division One where their presence was legally obliged, this is quite depressing.

On the other hand, without wishing to excuse the actions of the hooligans, maybe it reflects the culture of boredom, violence and sorrow which young, poorly educated males with no prospects are coerced to endure throughout their lives. We can all sit here and call it and look down our noses at the 'vile' people who do this, but simply cracking down on the thugs is not going to remove the reasons why people revert to this horrendous form of entertainment.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.