Britian and Racism

Watch
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've seen a good amout of slander against the general British public and Islam/Muslims of late and I just wanted to share my thoughts.

We're seeing a lot of ''All British people are racist'' and not only does that create a big void between people to start with, but it's simply not true. Does Britian have people who are racist? yes, we do. But you have to ask the question - which country doesn't have racist people?

I personally have worked with people for many years who are from different backgrounds, different religions and have different opinions. I've worked with lighter skinned coloured people and darker - I am a British man and I'm not racist in the slightest.

Stop painting everyone with the same brush. Not all Muslims are terroist and not all British people are racist.

/Rant over.
CarlNorthWest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Balloon Baboon)
I've seen a good amout of slander against the general British public and Islam/Muslims of late and I just wanted to share my thoughts.

We're seeing a lot of ''All British people are racist'' and not only does that create a big void between people to start with, but it's simply not true. Does Britian have people who are racist? yes, we do. But you have to ask the question - which country doesn't have racist people?

I personally have worked with people for many years who are from different backgrounds, different religions and have different opinions. I've worked with lighter skinned coloured people and darker - I am a British man and I'm not racist in the slightest.

Stop painting everyone with the same brush. Not all Muslims are terroist and not all British people are racist.

/Rant over.
Racism is a system.

People from the same background go to Oxford and Cambridge. They don't say "We only want upper to middle class white people here"

But they can create a system, that pretty much ensures that.
And if you’re looking to understand why discussions between blacks and whites about racism are often so difficult it's because whites and non-whites are often not talking about the same thing.

To white folks, racism is seen mostly as individual, a prejudicial remark or bigoted slur. For blacks, it is that too, but typically more : It is the experience of systematized discrimination in housing, employment, schools or the justice system.

It is the knowledge that one’s entire group is under suspicion, at risk of being treated negatively because of stereotypes held by persons with the power to act on the basis of those beliefs.

I had white friends at school, but my friendship with them did little or nothing to stop racism.

The black kids would be punished more harshly than the white kids, even though we committed those minor infractions no more frequently than the white kids did.

Most all the black children were tracked into basic and remedial level classes, while most all the white kids were tracked into advanced and honors classes, even though they showed no more promise (and sometimes quite a bit less) than us.

So when exams came round and black kids failure rate was higher than the white kids failure rate everyone would ask "Whats wrong with the black kids" and the teachers came in with the same negative beliefs about next years kids.

Racism is often not this angry thing that the media makes out. It's a system.
perfectsymbology
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Watch and learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNge-o0V-k
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

/Rant over.
Only difference is that calling a Muslim a terrorist recieves attacks on your comments and claims of racism. Comments calling British people hateful racists are generally trumped and supported by everybody. As that thread clearly demonstrates.
Catholic_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CarlNorthWest)
Racism is a system.

People from the same background go to Oxford and Cambridge. They don't say "We only want upper to middle class white people here"

But they can create a system, that pretty much ensures that.
And if you’re looking to understand why discussions between blacks and whites about racism are often so difficult it's because whites and non-whites are often not talking about the same thing.

To white folks, racism is seen mostly as individual, a prejudicial remark or bigoted slur. For blacks, it is that too, but typically more : It is the experience of systematized discrimination in housing, employment, schools or the justice system.

It is the knowledge that one’s entire group is under suspicion, at risk of being treated negatively because of stereotypes held by persons with the power to act on the basis of those beliefs.

I had white friends at school, but my friendship with them did little or nothing to stop racism.

The black kids would be punished more harshly than the white kids, even though we committed those minor infractions no more frequently than the white kids did.

Most all the black children were tracked into basic and remedial level classes, while most all the white kids were tracked into advanced and honors classes, even though they showed no more promise (and sometimes quite a bit less) than us.

So when exams came round and black kids failure rate was higher than the white kids failure rate everyone would ask "Whats wrong with the black kids" and the teachers came in with the same negative beliefs about next years kids.

Racism is often not this angry thing that the media makes out. It's a system.
The race card game has been exposed already.
CarlNorthWest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Catholic_)
The race card game has been exposed already.
When we live in world were :

If you go to a wedding : You wear white - A funeral you wear black. Angel food cake is white - Devils food cake is black.

I'm going to "Black Mail" "Black Ball" you "Black Sheep" of the family

You go to church and you see that Jesus is white - God is white - Joseph is white - Mary is white. You got to schoool and you are taught that Shakespeare is the greatest poet of all time (White man) Da Vinci, Picasso, Tuner and Constable are the greatest painters of all time (White men) Newton is the greatest scientist of all time (White man)

You are taught that white people are - The Fathers Of Science - The Fathers Of Maths - Yhe Fathers of Civilisations - And Africa is land of savages and nothing has ever came out of there bar slavery.

I did not set it up.

That is very racist white supremacist view of the world. So racism and white supremacy runs through out all societies. So will the real race card player stand up.

The whole deck is racism.
Catholic_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CarlNorthWest)
When we live in world were :

If you go to a wedding : You wear white - A funeral you wear black. Angel food cake is white - Devils food cake is black.

I'm going to "Black Mail" "Black Ball" you "Black Sheep" of the family

You go to church and you see that Jesus is white - God is white - Joseph is white - Mary is white. You got to schoool and you are taught that Shakespeare is the greatest poet of all time (White man) Da Vinci, Picasso, Tuner and Constable are the greatest painters of all time (White men) Newton is the greatest scientist of all time (White man)

You are taught that white people are - The Fathers Of Science - The Fathers Of Maths - Yhe Fathers of Civilisations - And Africa is land of savages and nothing has ever came out of there bar slavery.

I did not set it up.

That is very racist white supremacist view of the world. So racism and white supremacy runs through out all societies. So will the real race card player stand up.

The whole deck is racism.
''If you go to a wedding : You wear white - A funeral you wear black. Angel food cake is white - Devils food cake is black''.

:bricks:
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

/Rant over.
Agreed.
Le Franglais
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43I80_IbFI

^ Muhammad Ali inspirational speech.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OK CarlNorthWest, I'll bite. If you're being serious - it's posts like that which look to play the race card which infuriate people from all backgrounds. Here's some advice I got when I was young (which is equally valid whatever your skin colour, income, personal circumstances etc) - study hard, work hard, be the best you can be, and if you don't like some aspect of life then get out there and do something about it. Don't whinge about how hard done by you are. Don't complain if you don't have the perfect role model. Take some initiative and set your own goals. In this day and age anyone can do and be whatever they want. Oh, and "Black Beauty", "in the black", "Black Forest", "Bugatti Black Bess". Stop being ridiculous by claiming black=bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
13.78%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
22.22%
Live streaming events (21)
9.33%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (22)
9.78%
A uni comparison tool (51)
22.67%
An in-person event when available (50)
22.22%