Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.ndrew)
    Happy Hardcore, Hardcore.. All that nonsense.. Usually find that kinda crap in London. Pill Head music.
    there are some record labels that are quite big that have happy hardcore in their roster. you can also find a lot of hardcore albums and compliation albums in major record stores.

i was watching the culture show and they were talking about welsh reggae and welsh rap. i can't guage these genres' underground-ness so i'm not too sure about them but you can check em out and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M j R)
    Look around the metal section. There is so many sub-genres, there's room for one more. Heavy punk metal or something...haha.
    There are like, 6 of those already.

(Original post by ApathyAndExhaustion)
    Drone metal? Earth, Sunn 0))), Boris, Thrones, Khanate, others I can't recall...
    Has been pretty well covered by the indie press. If you could write an article on proper Doom and Stoner, that'd be pretty great though.

A look at old but neglected genres like psych and funk, would be much more interesting than snother expose on whatever the latest sub-genre of crap the UK electronica scene has spewed forth lately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess54)
    are there any scenes you guys can think of that are london based and really are quite low-key underground genres? ska is a little mainstream but tell me more about things like jewish reggae etc! x
    From what I've heard, London's actually pretty poor as far as underground music goes and I'm not sure why exactly. Probably suffers from stiff competition from other forms of entertainment.

As for British Ska being mainstream, I'd say quite the opposite - while it's one of the best established underground movements (meaning it exists and there's CDs out and it's not just people pottering around in their bedrooms), it has received very little commercial success or much press over the last few years. No British ska band are signed to major labels, for example.

I'd say you'd really struggle to find a new genre, since new genres don't really exist. They just evolve from present ones. Look at how much the meanings of Indie, Emo, Ska, Hiphop and Punk has changed over the last 30 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranP)
    Has been pretty well covered by the indie press. If you could write an article on proper Doom and Stoner, that'd be pretty great though.
    Now that does surprise me. I must admit I answered with little knowledge of what the indie press has been covering, but rather based on the assumption that music so distinctly unpleasant (and not in a negative sense) to listen to would not have reached any significant audience or critical coverage.

ReputationRep:
    Why not psychadelic pop? It's not my thing, but I know a friends whos made a pyschadelic pop band, and he's the only one i know...
    ...granted it isn't new but we live in that era (post-modern?) where nothing is new.

ReputationRep:
    Surely psych/pop covers most of the 60s pop bands. The Beatles, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    the UK post hardcore scene doesn't get any proper coverage outside of zines/websites like collective zine/punktastic. bands like jets vs sharks, dauntless elite, you me and the atom bomb, chillerton, ruin you, the take, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea tea)
    the UK post hardcore scene doesn't get any proper coverage outside of zines/websites like collective zine/punktastic. bands like jets vs sharks, dauntless elite, you me and the atom bomb, chillerton, ruin you, the take, etc etc.
    Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about. It's a very strong scene at the moment, and one deserving of recognition.

Though I would really just call those lot punk bands, rather than post-hardcore. Not that I've ever really been sure what "post-hardcore" is. It seems to be one of those genres where everyone has conflicting ideas of what is or is not "real".

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i couldn't really think of a tag that would give an idea of how they sound, whilst separating them from straight up punk rock, and, seeing as HWM got the tag 'melodic hardcore' or 'post-hardcore' all the time, i thought one of those two was most appropriate.

anyway, regardless of genre, that scene is thriving now, a lot of it in leeds/south coast, but elsewhere as well. i forgot blocko and calcutecs as well, they deserve a bit of hype, seeing as how dugong always got passed over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea tea)
    yeah, i couldn't really think of a tag that would give an idea of how they sound, whilst separating them from straight up punk rock, and, seeing as HWM got the tag 'melodic hardcore' or 'post-hardcore' all the time, i thought one of those two was most appropriate.

anyway, regardless of genre, that scene is thriving now, a lot of it in leeds/south coast, but elsewhere as well. i forgot blocko and calcutecs as well, they deserve a bit of hype, seeing as how dugong always got passed over.
    I was quite impressed with Calcutecs when I saw them the other night, though I sensed that their potential as a band hadn't quite been reached - as though they hadn't quite found the right sound for themselves or something.

Though it seems every time I go to a punk gig in Leeds there's always a new ex-Dugong band supporting. I've seen at least two others this year, and that's excluding Nathaniel Green.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm throwing my support behind miscellaneous new electronica genre. Tactical voting, yo.

ReputationRep:
    The whole 'riot grrl' era (Bikini Kill, Bratmobile, Heavens to Betsy etc) passed most of the mainstream by. But it was mainly an early 90s phenomenon anyway, and there's only a few bands left who are still recording anything remotely riot grrl-sounding nowadays.

I'd definately go along with the electronica thing though- even within the electronica genre itself there are so many sub-genres and 'scenes' that aren't what you'd consider mainstream.

And experimental music has a pretty big scene that is mostly over-looked.

ReputationRep:
    U.K Battle/Hardcore Rap...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.