The Student Room Group

Is Facebook dying slowly?

Everytime I visit I get the impression that this is a place that is dying slowly. Either people are getting older or people just can't be arsed with Facebook anymore (or both). Are the younger generation using Facebook as much as we did or is Facebook not as cool now and everyone is on apps like Snapchat?

I always wonder when Facebook will die.

I can remember the time when it wasn't that popular. I can remember when students were the only ones allowed on the site!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Add more friends on Facebook you fool.
Original post by datpiff
Everytime I visit I get the impression that this is a place that is dying slowly. Either people are getting older or people just can't be arsed with Facebook anymore (or both). Are the younger generation using Facebook as much as we did or is Facebook not as cool now and everyone is on apps like Snapchat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my personal experience everyone I know is getting more interested in Facebook now than before, I have friends that never had an account and now have one and are very active.

I don't think Facebook will be going away any time soon.
I don't think it's "dying" in the sense that eventually it'll be like bebo and myspace, where pretty much no one uses it anymore.

I don't think it's the "cool" social network as it used to be, but loads of people still use it for stuff. Facebook is here to stay for a while yet.
Reply 4
I've noticed the steady decline of Facebook. But it is still the most convenient place to converse with friends, especially from university now I've graduated. It'll be around for a while yet.
It is in a period of stagnation and whilst I have seen many people say that it is boring and they don't go on it as much anymore, the crucial point is 'not as much'. People still go on it. If it was that bad people would delete it.

I find it a useful tool to arrange to meet friends and keep in touch with my friends from my year abroad.
Facebook has been dying for years tbh. It's like an injured horse that just needs to be put out of its misery.

A few years ago you could sit on FB chat all day, now nobody bothers to use it. Nobody uploads photos and I see more frapes being posted than genuine statuses, so many people who used to post on there daily just never use it anymore. We used to have a really active group with all our friends in which is now completely dead.

A lot of people still have an account, but how many of them actually use it regularly? If I log into my FB now it's nothing but Vines, Buzzfeed links and club promotion.
Original post by datpiff

I can remember the time when it wasn't that popular. I can remember when students were the only ones allowed on the site!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Facebook will always be a good form of communication as out of all the social networks I can think of, it's the only one with good messaging facilities..

Also, it's good to share photos and things with distant family because Twitter takes the personal out of posts in my opinion

But for a lot of things yes, Facebook is probably losing it's 'peak' but don't most modern things?
Reply 8
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its dying. Certainly becoming a place where people post endless baby pictures and the aunts who comment on everything in CAPS LOCK and sign their name at the end of posts.
Reply 9
Original post by sr90
Facebook has been dying for years tbh. It's like an injured horse that just needs to be put out of its misery.

A few years ago you could sit on FB chat all day, now nobody bothers to use it. Nobody uploads photos and I see more frapes being posted than genuine statuses, so many people who used to post on there daily just never use it anymore. We used to have a really active group with all our friends in which is now completely dead.

A lot of people still have an account, but how many of them actually use it regularly? If I log into my FB now it's nothing but Vines, Buzzfeed links and club promotion.

I feel exactly the same. I just think "might as well just use Buzzfeed and not bother using Facebook as that's where all the stuff is". I see Facebook as a load of links to interesting stuff on other sites most times, but at other times it's just the usual popular girls posting selfies, their pictures of them with boyfriends, kids, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its certainly declining, but I think its bit premature to say website with second highest traffic globally is 'dying'.
I certainly think it has declined slightly, don't think it will ever die but many people including myself don't post quite as much on there now.
Reply 12
Original post by penguin268693
I think Facebook will always be a good form of communication as out of all the social networks I can think of, it's the only one with good messaging facilities..

Also, it's good to share photos and things with distant family because Twitter takes the personal out of posts in my opinion

But for a lot of things yes, Facebook is probably losing it's 'peak' but don't most modern things?

Maybe it will die down like Pokemon? That was crazy back in the day. Everyone knew about that. The majority of people don't care anymore, though it still maintains a decent sized dedicated following.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
I feel exactly the same. I just think "might as well just use Buzzfeed and not bother using Facebook as that's where all the stuff is". I see Facebook as a load of links to interesting stuff on other sites most times, but at other times it's just the usual popular girls posting selfies, their pictures of them with boyfriends, kids, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone do that now they have Instagram to get attention?
Reply 14
Original post by sr90
Does anyone do that now they have Instagram to get attention?

Dunno. Never used Instagram. The thought of browsing through a load of duck faced selfies, pretentious food pictures, pictures of hipsters trying to show they're having 'new age fun with a vintage feel' is horrible :frown:

Is it as bad as I think it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Groot
Add more friends on Facebook you fool.

Harsh.
Original post by datpiff
Dunno. Never used Instagram. The thought of browsing through a load of duck faced selfies, pretentious food pictures, pictures of hipsters trying to show they're having 'new age fun with a vintage feel' is horrible :frown:

Is it as bad as I think it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea, I don't have an account. Instagram is for girls to post photos of their dinner, selfies and whatever piece of jewellery they've guilt tripped their boyfriend into buying for them.
dunno bout the younger generation but the older gen are all over facebook like flies on ****. facebook might not be the on trend thing at the minute but it's THE social media powerhouse and you would do well to respect it.
Facebook is starting to feel like a digital births, deaths and marriages noticeboard with a few pictures of cats thrown in. Thankfully I am of an age where it is all births and marriages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending