lewoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm in year 12, and it's my first year of IB.

My subject choices right now are
HL: MATHS
HL: ECONOMICS
HL: PSYCHOLOGY
SL: CHEMISTY
SL: ENGLISH LITERATURE
SL: SPANISH AB INITIO

I just got my first report for IB and all my other subjects were very good, but I got a 4 IN MATHS HL. I really want to study PPE in Oxford and I saw that they say Maths to AS-Level or Standard Level is recommended. I'm confident in getting a 7 for MATHS SL but I'm unsure I'll do well when I stay in Maths HL. Do you think I'll still have a good chance for getting to the interview level for PPE in Oxford if I move to MATHS SL and change my English Literature to HL? Also do you think psychology is a good subject for PPE or do you recommend history?

PLEASE HELP, I've spoken to the HE advisor of our school but I still can't decide or be sure. Please please help me!
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lewoo)
Hi I'm in year 12, and it's my first year of IB.

My subject choices right now are
HL: MATHS
HL: ECONOMICS
HL: PSYCHOLOGY
SL: CHEMISTY
SL: ENGLISH LITERATURE
SL: SPANISH AB INITIO

I just got my first report for IB and all my other subjects were very good, but I got a 4 IN MATHS HL. I really want to study PPE in Oxford and I saw that they say Maths to AS-Level or Standard Level is recommended. I'm confident in getting a 7 for MATHS SL but I'm unsure I'll do well when I stay in Maths HL. Do you think I'll still have a good chance for getting to the interview level for PPE in Oxford if I move to MATHS SL and change my English Literature to HL? Also do you think psychology is a good subject for PPE or do you recommend history?

PLEASE HELP, I've spoken to the HE advisor of our school but I still can't decide or be sure. Please please help me!
Per the PPE FAQ, it's absolutely fine for you to take SL Maths instead of HL: http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/ppe-faq I imagine studying HL will probably be an advantage when it comes to the more quantitative-heavy Economics modules subsequently, but I imagine you can catch up then or opt for other modules anyway.

The FAQ also suggests History as a recommended subject, but it isn't required, so I'd say take whichever you prefer. You'll get exposure to essay writing through English Literature HL, so I wouldn't be too worried.
xenia2812
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I have similar problem. Also a 4 in Maths HL :/

I'm currently in my first year of IB and my subjects are as follows:
HL History
HL French B
HL English A
HL Mathematics
SL Polish A
SL Biology

I'm afraid I won't be able to cope with HL Maths as well as I would want to. I therefore consider dropping Maths to SL and staying with HLs in French, English and History (then also Polish). I would love to go into social sciences later on, PPE being my dream-course (at Oxford ideally), but I'm afraid that with that sort of subject combination unis will judge me as not many-sided enough or would have doubts regarding my mathematical aptitude. I know I can score very well doing Maths SL, but it would require a lot of effort to have a satisfying mark in Maths HL and I am not sure if it's worth the risk… So, in short, I don't know if having only History and 3 Languages on HL will be a well-perceived combination… Any advice please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads