Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought the universe is said to be expanding by galaxies accelerating away from each other and that was from the farther the galaxy is away from us the faster its moving away? but if they look further they look more into the past....so thats saying the galaxies that are seen in the past are moving away faster than the galaxies closer to the present. Basically how can they tell the universe is expanding/accelrating?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the anwser would probably revolve around some implementation of 'Dark Energy'. Don't know much about it though. Not sure if this is quite what you're asking either.

Link to the Wikipedia article on Dark Energy

Current observations suggest that the universe is still expanding.

I'm sure someone else will be able to give a more helpful/meaningful anwser.

ReputationRep:
    Once you look out far enough (away from locally gravitationally bound galaxies) all galaxies we see exhibit a redshifting in their light, due to the doppler effect. This is due to the fact they are moving away from us and it's due to the space between us and them expanding.

We have evidence for this expansion accelerating, and not decelerating as you'd expect from objects linked by gravity, from the spectra of Type 1A supernova. These explosions are always the same in their pattern of behaviour. Because of this you can work out the difference in how bright the explosion is seen to how bright it was near by and via some maths work out it's distance. Using a few more formulas I don't know or have forgotten you can then work out the expansion was slower in the past!

ReputationRep:
    o right, okies thank you.

The universe must be expanding because entropy always increases? Or vice versa.

Second law of thermodynamics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.