The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
quite a few people live on university park, and in 3rd party self-catered halls, as well as on Jubilee.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
cheers for the reply JMG, im looking at applying for a "single study bedroom", is that what your in?
also which hall?
i can't seem to see any pics of rooms on the nottingham hospitality website. are there any sites you know of that show the rooms?
I may be going to an open day if i dont get any offers from durham or bristol
Reply 62
Google bbc 360 nottingham uni and there hsould be pics on there of several hall rooms. xx
Reply 63
JMG
although I am the only person in my hall doing it, there are a lot of people in Comp Sci on main Campus - Dills (posting in this thread) is, as well.

and me... after 'not liking' 2nd year physics very much... :biggrin:
That's a loose use of "not liking".
Reply 65
Lewisy-boy
That's a loose use of "not liking".

quiet you
Hey, I got a rejection letter from notts for management studies(damn you clever smarter people than me. :frown: ) However they state that they would be happy to consider me for a place on either the BSc Joints Honours Computer Science and Management or the BSc Single Honours eCommerve and Digital Business. Anyways considering this topic is about computer science, I would like to know roughly how closely related is Computer Science and Management to management. Reading this topic it seems not much. I do maths, psychology, economic and Business at A2 atm(also general studies but no-one counts that). Would you suggest me to apply anyway for the course?

Any replies would be helpful :smile: (however downputting comment may not be as much but nevertheless comments plz)
PeaceSeeker
Hey, I got a rejection letter from notts for management studies(damn you clever smarter people than me. :frown: ) However they state that they would be happy to consider me for a place on either the BSc Joints Honours Computer Science and Management or the BSc Single Honours eCommerve and Digital Business. Anyways considering this topic is about computer science, I would like to know roughly how closely related is Computer Science and Management to management. Reading this topic it seems not much. I do maths, psychology, economic and Business at A2 atm(also general studies but no-one counts that). Would you suggest me to apply anyway for the course?

Any replies would be helpful :smile: (however downputting comment may not be as much but nevertheless comments plz)

I know someone doing joint computer science and management and hes in a few lectures with me. If you got maths then i doubt you'll have a problem with the computer science of it, that would be the only worrying thing.

(im doing management)
Thanks guys for replying. I think i will apply to a computer science and management. It alls depends if i can find the time to phone them to consider me. The one bit that prompt to do this is because of what JMG said. "I do think it would make you more attractive to employers." But my knowledge of computer are quite basic, so there is that to consider. Do i really want to put my brain through that lol. Thanks once again to JMG and multiplexed.
hmm talking of computer science with management studies..im actually thinking of changing my course once i get there mainly due to the same thing JMG stated, that ur more attractive to employers. id either wana change to computer science with management or the ecommerce degree! so my questions are, isit easy to change to a diff course within the same department once ur term starts and which one would you guys recommend, e commerce or the management one?

oh and one more question, how many girls are there on these computer science courses cos i saw NONE at the open day :eek: omg what if im the only girl haha :colondollar:

xx
Reply 70
when I was a fresher, there were about 6 girls on te course, as a second year, that number has gone down to 5. Thats out of 150, but in any lecture, I doubt if there is more than 40 people in total
omgosh!! ahhh im scared now :eek2:
Reply 72
Does anyone know if you can take any Physics modules with the Computer Science course?
Reply 73
Simzyy
Does anyone know if you can take any Physics modules with the Computer Science course?

Short answer
Maybe.

Long Answer:
There's nothing physically stopping you, but CS prefer you to take optional modules within the school, and it's logistically difficult since Physics is on main campus, and CS is at Jubilee, so you've got to allow at least 20 minutes of travelling time (whether you take the hopper bus or walk) so if you have consecutive lectures on both campuses you may end up having to miss the end of one and/or the start of the other. Plus there are no guarantees about avoiding timetable clashes.

Also I've just had a look at the first year modules that Physics offers nowadays (see http://winster.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue/asp/main_search.asp - it's changed substantially since I did 1st year physics in 2004/05) and all the level 1 modules (ie to be taken by first years) appear to be year-long modules instead of semester-long, so that may well prevent you from being able to take them. You're best off asking if/when you get here.
Further to what Alex-HS has said all of the level 1 Physics units last the entire year - it's been changed this year to rationalize a number of small 10 credit units into fewer larger units so there's fewer exams.

It would be interesting but it would be extremely unlikely to be feasible because if you're going to do a Physics unit you'd need to do F31CO1 From Newton To Einstein really as this covers all the core Physics content of mechanics , waves , relativity , modern physics and electricity/magnetism.You could do Frontiers in Physics F31FIP (20 credits) but really it makes use of the core physics principles you learn in F31CO1 so you wouldn't go that far on just A2 Physics (I don't do this unit).Problem is that F31CO1 is worth 40 credits and I've heard that generally you're only allowed 20 credits at most outside your home school .(I do 60 credits in Maths and 60 in Physics but that's because my degree title is Mathematical Physics - I don't think CS would be happy with you missing huge parts of their modules) .There isn't any Seymorization at Nottingham unfortunately (Warwick have a system which allows you to do more than 120 credits and have them count more towards your degree score according to the Seymour formula) so you're stuck to 120 credits.
I am yet another who has applied for computer science at Nottingham this September.. I'm so excited (probably unneccessarily so..) :'D
What's it like for those who did computing at A2 (as opposed to maths)?

Thorsten sounds amazing, ahaha. I loved the quotes. >_>
(I'm half-German, I remember talking to him on the open day). He seemed amusing then, too.

@Glitter88; I doubt you'll be the only girl, I've spoken to a few (and I'm female also) who have applied. n__n
Slightly Eccentric
I am yet another who has applied for computer science at Nottingham this September.. I'm so excited (probably unneccessarily so..) :'D
What's it like for those who did computing at A2 (as opposed to maths)?

Thorsten sounds amazing, ahaha. I loved the quotes. >_>
(I'm half-German, I remember talking to him on the open day). He seemed amusing then, too.

@Glitter88; I doubt you'll be the only girl, I've spoken to a few (and I'm female also) who have applied. n__n

I just made a late application! They sounded interested in me when I emailed so I'm hoping to be there in Sept 09 too :biggrin: And I'm obviously a girl :wink:
Reply 77
I've applied for CS, they gave me an offer of BBC. BUT i had applied for CivEng, and my personal statement was focused around that, i even said that i like computers, but a course in them would be silly (i was lying like crazy) anyways, after going to the open day, i had a major change of mind, and they let me change. i must have a B in maths though, which im hoping for.
Reply 78
I'm hoping to do computer science at Nottingham in sept too.
Need BBB.
I'm really scared though because i didnt do AS or A2 computing, only done IT,
So i hope im not the thickest there :|
Reply 79
kati6
I'm hoping to do computer science at Nottingham in sept too.
Need BBB.
I'm really scared though because i didnt do AS or A2 computing, only done IT,
So i hope im not the thickest there :|

Not many people I know did any form of computing at A2 , so don't worry. Plus, they pretty much start from scratch so anything you need to know, you'll learn. I think programming is the main thing that trips people up, so any experience in that before starting uni will serve you well!

Latest