Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I just got an unconditional offer from Notts for computer science or computer science and AI. I just have to decide what I want now And Kati6, A level computing isn't much help and they start from the bottom up on all computer courses. If they didn't think you could handle it, they wouldn't have asked you to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    I just got an unconditional offer from Notts for computer science or computer science and AI. I just have to decide what I want now And Kati6, A level computing isn't much help and they start from the bottom up on all computer courses. If they didn't think you could handle it, they wouldn't have asked you to do it!
    This - A2 Computing would be very useful as it overlaps with some of the first year material from what I gather from one of my mates doing it , some of the stuff I've learned such as IEEE754 floating point representations is taught again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    This - A2 Computing would be very useful as it overlaps with some of the first year material from what I gather from one of my mates doing it , some of the stuff I've learned such as IEEE754 floating point representations is taught again.
    ... that makes me feel so much better 'IEEE754'... don't even know what that is.
    Anyone have an idea of the type of programming i should be looking at (java??) and also does anybody have any links to some websites that will help.
    Thanks in advance :o:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kati6)
    ... that makes me feel so much better 'IEEE754'... don't even know what that is.
    Anyone have an idea of the type of programming i should be looking at (java??) and also does anybody have any links to some websites that will help.
    Thanks in advance
    Numbers systems (floating point etc) are really easy once you figure it out. You'll be completely fine! I'd like to know about the java too. I'm pretty good but it'd be nice to know where I'm aiming.

Also, an recommendations for textbooks for the maths areas would be awesome. I haven't done any maths in years and a refresher is really needed before I get there I don't fancy crashing and burning!

ReputationRep:
    In the first year at Nottingham alot of the content is to get people to the same sort of level.

If you are interested in some of the Maths you will have to do http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rcb/mcs/G51MCS/ is the syllabus for the main maths module you will do in your first semester so will give you some idea of the kind of things to expect.

The main programming language is Java so if you have a chance to have a look at it then it isn't a bad idea but that isn't at all essential

Enjoy first year ! Third year isn't going to be quite so fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgosden)
    In the first year at Nottingham alot of the content is to get people to the same sort of level.

If you are interested in some of the Maths you will have to do http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rcb/mcs/G51MCS/ is the syllabus for the main maths module you will do in your first semester so will give you some idea of the kind of things to expect.

The main programming language is Java so if you have a chance to have a look at it then it isn't a bad idea but that isn't at all essential

Enjoy first year ! Third year isn't going to be quite so fun
    Thank you .. saved it in my fav's. will look at that
    Dreading the first year .. nevermind the third :O
    So is this the maths i will be learning as soon as i get there?

ReputationRep:
    Ill be applying for Nottingham CS for entry in 2010. My Predicted Grades should be ABC or BBC and I will have a killer Personal Statement. BUT I don't take A-Level Maths, only computing, Graphics and Business. Is this a problem? Will I struggle on the maths side of the course? Whats the chances of me getting in? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting ready for anything untill 20th august, when i will know if I'm getting in or not. as soon as i know I'm in, I'm gunna get a ground with python. then start to glance over Java. depends how long it takes me. but I'm unsure about getting the grades lol.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Peelypeel)
    I'm not getting ready for anything untill 20th august, when i will know if I'm getting in or not. as soon as i know I'm in, I'm gunna get a ground with python. then start to glance over Java. depends how long it takes me. but I'm unsure about getting the grades lol.
    I'm sure you'll be fine! What've they asked of you? I'd avoid learning too much before getting there - a few tried it last year and ended up spending the entire year having bad practices beaten out of them.

ReputationRep:
    BBC - B in Maths is a must. What were the bad practices?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Peelypeel)
    BBC - B in Maths is a must. What were the bad practices?
    Generally bad formatting, complete fail at theory kinda things and no grasp of Object Orientated Programming.

I'm sure you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    lol, ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    gonna be doing comp sci w/ AI this sept whoo . does anyone know what the AI side is like? im guessing its gonna be really hard but it seems so interesting.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cowboy2608)
    gonna be doing comp sci w/ AI this sept whoo . does anyone know what the AI side is like? im guessing its gonna be really hard but it seems so interesting.
    Hee! You're the first AI I've found! It looks awesome doesn't it? I've done bits before and it was hard but really fun.

ReputationRep:
    Hee! You're the first AI I've found! It looks awesome doesn't it? I've done bits before and it was hard but really fun.
    yeeea it looks like it could be proper beast . i was thinking bout doing robotics but thought this would be more interesting cos i imagine robotics would cover a lot of stuff about just programming the roobot to do things, whereas ai would be about, well, abut machines learning and stuff?. like up t date things i hopeeeee.
    what have you dabbled in?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    yeeea it looks like it could be proper beast . i was thinking bout doing robotics but thought this would be more interesting cos i imagine robotics would cover a lot of stuff about just programming the roobot to do things, whereas ai would be about, well, abut machines learning and stuff?. like up t date things i hopeeeee.
    what have you dabbled in?
    There's robotics modules we can do alongside AI. That's my plan anyway. I've done bits of AI programming and shedloads of theory about robotic overlords haha. I've heard Nottingham is really good for AI. I cannot wait

ReputationRep:
    There's robotics modules we can do alongside AI. That's my plan anyway. I've done bits of AI programming and shedloads of theory about robotic overlords haha. I've heard Nottingham is really good for AI. I cannot wait
    ahhh nice, ill have to check them out and see if its interesting enough .
    ahhh man i cant wait to start, just over a month whoooo .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    ahhh nice, ill have to check them out and see if its interesting enough .
    ahhh man i cant wait to start, just over a month whoooo .
    I know! I just want to be there now. The waiting is killing me. Where are you staying? I still haven't heard back but my only option was Raleigh so I'm guessing I'll be there

ReputationRep:
    I know! I just want to be there now. The waiting is killing me. Where are you staying? I still haven't heard back but my only option was Raleigh so I'm guessing I'll be there
    haha! well im just down the road, im at st peters court .
    i was thinking abut raleigh but i went with st. peters cos of en suite, and i cna stay there during xmas hols and that if i want . and free bus.
    do you have any idea how many hours of lectures well have a week?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    haha! well im just down the road, im at st peters court .
    i was thinking abut raleigh but i went with st. peters cos of en suite, and i cna stay there during xmas hols and that if i want . and free bus.
    do you have any idea how many hours of lectures well have a week?
    I've tried ensuite before for college and I hated it so I've made the step to be cheap this time I think it said about 16 hours as a rough guide but I'm not sure if there's more added on. And in the course guide PDF it says we take extra modules but I wouldn't see how that'd work creditwise.

So yeah, I have no idea what's going on :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.