The Student Room Group

Options other than sixth form - help

Hi all

I would first of all like to give a bit of background of my life:

- I suffer from depression
- I have finished secondary school with all my subjects being C+ (9 GCSE's altogether)
- Currently I'm in a sixth form doing Sociology, Computing, Business studies, Polish and a B-Tec in ICT

I have been fearing the worst which is the fact that I will fail sixth form, It is early, but I can tell from past experiences how my life will affect everything with the way that it has done in the past. I'm considering dropping out of sixth form and pursuing a different carrier path other than going to UNI.

I'm mainly interested in nearly anything to do with computers (Hardware, software, cyber-security, programming, etc.) and right now I am thinking of dropping out of sixth form as it is putting too much pressure on me now and I can't cope with it physically or mentally, which my parents can see and they do knowledge (Although they do not know I suffer from a mental problem)

I really do not know what I should do at this point, I'm slowing coming to the fact that I need to drop out of sixth form and join a different type of education, but I do not know what options there actually are.

If there would be anyone who could help me with this situation, I would really be grateful
Reply 1
Hey!

Have you considered doing a full BTEC (e.g. Extended Diploma) in Computers/IT? I'm not a computer-y person but I know there are those sorts of courses available in 16+ colleges.

Alternatively, have you looked into apprenticeships in the computer field? You may really thrive in that kind of environment - my friends say their apprenticeships are so, so different to school and they love them!

If you can cope, you should try and stick at 6th form for a couple more months and talk to your school's careers/HE department about moving to another college course or apprenticeship.
Original post by michal_t
Hi all

I would first of all like to give a bit of background of my life:

- I suffer from depression
- I have finished secondary school with all my subjects being C+ (9 GCSE's altogether)
- Currently I'm in a sixth form doing Sociology, Computing, Business studies, Polish and a B-Tec in ICT

I have been fearing the worst which is the fact that I will fail sixth form, It is early, but I can tell from past experiences how my life will affect everything with the way that it has done in the past. I'm considering dropping out of sixth form and pursuing a different carrier path other than going to UNI.

I'm mainly interested in nearly anything to do with computers (Hardware, software, cyber-security, programming, etc.) and right now I am thinking of dropping out of sixth form as it is putting too much pressure on me now and I can't cope with it physically or mentally, which my parents can see and they do knowledge (Although they do not know I suffer from a mental problem)

I really do not know what I should do at this point, I'm slowing coming to the fact that I need to drop out of sixth form and join a different type of education, but I do not know what options there actually are.

If there would be anyone who could help me with this situation, I would really be grateful

Być może , że lepiej porozmawiać z rodzicami o tym problem co nie?(maybe it is better to speak to your parents about this problem)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending