Turn on thread page Beta

Schoolgirl arrested for refusing to study with non-English pupils watch

• View Poll Results: Should she be charged with racism?
    Yes
    25.25%
    No
    74.75%

(Original post by Giliwoo)
    On what basis can you say "it doesn't matter to the police"? Come on, really, under what law did they arrest her for "racism"? I'm not being a devil's advocate here but I'll bet there's more to this story.
    In this ridiculous PC-Nazi environment nobody cares if theres a law or not. Sadly the general public dont seem alarmed at the rising number of such arrests.

Reminds me of the girl-whose-face-was-slashed-at-school story, where they conveniently neglected to inform us that the slashing victim was a bully, and had recently victimised her attacker.
    Trivial compared to this (although the attacker was a Somalian girl)

What's a free country, by the way?
    One where we dont arrest people for protesting, trainspotting, expressing traditional moral views, or asking to be put in a project group that speaks English.

ReputationRep:
    I am also willing to bet that theres more to this story - the teacher must have heard the girl say something slightly racist in order to call in the coppers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr4470)
    In this ridiculous PC-Nazi environment nobody cares if theres a law or not. Sadly the general public dont seem alarmed at the rising number of such arrests.
    You can make your point well enough without resorting to exaggerated rhetoric. Again, you are ignoring my question. What law makes racism illegal (as opposed to destructive expressions of racism)? Also, is it reasonable of you to suggest that the police go around arresting people where no law allows them to? This is patently untrue. Your opinion was still valid before you started being selective with the truth.

Trivial compared to this (although the attacker was a Somalian girl)
    Why is it trivial (her origin is irrelevant)?

One where we dont arrest people for protesting, trainspotting, expressing traditional moral views, or asking to be put in a project group that speaks English.
    You won't find such a country I think. Since when was the last bit illegal in Britain?

Can you guys see what I am getting at here? You can feel whatever you do about these "race issues", but surely your opinions can be substantiated without this kind of exaggeration and blatant fabrication?

(Original post by jojo72)
    I am also willing to bet that theres more to this story - the teacher must have heard the girl say something slightly racist in order to call in the coppers.
    Look, I'm not condoning racism, by all means she deserved to be disciplined if she said anything racist, but being arrested and thrown in a cell over it is way beyond reasonable. If the girl had threatened them, or become violent, then it'd be a different story.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually thinking she had probably done something shortly before that, and was arrested for that; or, like you suggested, she may well have been in, or seriously risking the provocation of, an altercation.

ReputationRep:
    Look, I'm not condoning racism, by all means she deserved to be disciplined if she said anything racist, but being arrested and thrown in a cell over it is way beyond reasonable. If the girl had threatened them, or become violent, then it'd be a different story.
    I strongly think it is a different story.

You can make your point well enough without resorting to exaggerated rhetoric. Again, you are ignoring my question. What law makes racism illegal (as opposed to destructive expressions of racism)? Also, is it reasonable of you to suggest that the police go around arresting people where no law allows them to?
    Here, if you think I'm lying about the arrestable offences thing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma.../narrest29.xml

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...cle1219484.ece

Why is it trivial (her origin is irrelevant)?
    Trivial compared to the arrest for mere words here. As for origin being irrelevant: Somali women resolve disputes by face-scratching.

You won't find such a country I think. Since when was the last bit illegal in Britain?
    It isnt, but that hasnt stopped the police from enforcing an unwritten law.

ReputationRep:
    given that this is from the Mail I'd bet that there's more to this story than meets the eye. Anyone have any better sources?

ReputationRep:
    Here, if you think I'm lying about the arrestable offences thing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma.../narrest29.xml

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...cle1219484.ece
    As a student of politics and legal enthusiast, I already know about these offences (as well as what you can and cannot be arrested for vis-à-vis racism. Being racist is not a crime, nor is saying racist things to people in your own home or in conversation, or indeed in any other context, so long as it does not directly or indirectly incite them to act) I never said I don’t believe you, I just asked where "racism" is, among those crimes.

Trivial compared to the arrest for mere words here. As for origin being irrelevant: Somali women resolve disputes by face-scratching.
    I would think that laws exist to prevent harm to self and others. Clearly therefore, this is at least as important as arresting people for "mere words", because the law has in this case failed to fulfil one of its most fundamental purposes (while we are on this issue of "mere words", remember, inciting racial hatred - as opposed to racism alone - is akin to shouting "fire!" in a crowded theatre. The Right to Free Speech does not protect the right to shout "fire!" in a crowded building, and countless US Supreme Court cases have shown this). You and I both know that argument is flawed:

Fido is a dog
    Fido is fed at 5pm every day
    Therefore all dogs are fed at 5pm every day

It isnt, but that hasnt stopped the police from enforcing an unwritten law.
    Back to the first question: did they actually arrest her for "racism"?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6047514.stm

Sounds like crap.

How does a fourteen year old get arrested for making a complaint to a teacher?

I had to do a GCSE science project with a girl who knew next to no English, which was difficult, to say the least.

Of course there may be more to it.

ReputationRep:
    Uh-huh?

Fortunate for you that I can't see your face then?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the police followed procedure and any fault was with the teacher in question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scheherazade)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6047514.stm

Sounds like crap.

How does a fourteen year old get arrested for making a complaint to a teacher?

I had to do a GCSE science project with a girl who knew next to no English, which was difficult, to say the least.

haha, just look at her face - she has trouble maker written all over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scheherazade)

LOL. Reminds me of the time I leant one Chinese girl, who was learning English, my essay for "guidance", and she replicated it word for word, and handed it in as her own :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    Have you got a link from a proper newspaper or the BBC?
    Are you saying that the Mail made the entire thing up? They have their bias but they don't, as a rule, conjure stories out of thin air.

ReputationRep:
    They tend to exxagerate the truth and leave out the bits of the story they don't like. I'm sure the little brat deserved what she got.

ReputationRep:
    haha, just look at her face - she has trouble maker written all over it.
    lol, she does look a bit chavvy doesn't she. But like others are saying, there must be more to this than her simply asking to switch groups because she was unable to converse effectively with the members of her own group.

Getting the police involved in such a matter is beyond stupid. I don't blame the girl for wanting to change groups. I want to know why children born in this country can't speak English.

ReputationRep:
    Is this you first racially motivated thread dave ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    They tend to exxagerate the truth and leave out the bits of the story they don't like. I'm sure the little brat deserved what she got.
    Absolutely.

(Original post by gas_panic!)
    Getting the police involved in such a matter is beyond stupid. I don't blame the girl for wanting to change groups. I want to know why children born in this country can't speak English.
    that's probably exaggerated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.