Turn on thread page Beta

Schoolgirl arrested for refusing to study with non-English pupils watch

• View Poll Results: Should she be charged with racism?
    Yes
    25.25%
    No
    74.75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giliwoo)
    Since when was racism a crime? I mean that literally - since when was it an arrestable offence? Forgive my incredulity, but this story smells fishy.
    I reckon they probably took her in for questioning or something ridiculous like that rather than actual arrest. Even then, there are a lot of police constables who have no idea what the law actually is, so it's conceivable that she was arrested. I suppose she'd then be able to sue for wrongful detention...

(Original post by sr4470)
    Think that would come under "inciting racial hatred" and as all offences were made arrestable recently...
    I doubt it could qualify as inciting racial hatred even in the most stretched of minds.

But you made all offences arrestable down south? That sounds incredible.

(Original post by sr4470)
    Look, I'm not condoning racism, by all means she deserved to be disciplined if she said anything racist, but being arrested and thrown in a cell over it is way beyond reasonable. If the girl had threatened them, or become violent, then it'd be a different story.
    It is a worrying precedent, bringing police officers into schools. Teachers should sort their own problems out rather than expecting the police to do it for them. It does not make a functioning community when, instead of being resolved, disputes are brought to the attention of the constabulary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    It is a worrying precedent, bringing police officers into schools. Teachers should sort their own problems out rather than expecting the police to do it for them. It does not make a functioning community when, instead of being resolved, disputes are brought to the attention of the constabulary.
    I must ask: when was the last time you were in school, and where? Because I went to a good(ish) school but in a an area with unsavoury types, and yes, one did often see the police about. Very often, criminal issues do arise at school. I am also curious as to how else you expect teachers to solve a problem like a knife-wielding, or drug dealing, or otherwise threatening pupil? I might ask if you don't have a slightly idealised view of the average pupil (if any such thing exists).

ReputationRep:
    i'd agree with libertine north, if we need police officers in schools we allready have a big problem. This is known as treating the symptoms rather than the cause!

ReputationRep:
    Thats not exactly racism!

The school should have attempted to break down the language barrier by teahing them English and that particular teacher should be fired for sheer stupidity and lack of sense.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually think she did anything wrong at all. How was she expected to participate in group work when she couldn't understand them.

We have a lot of eastern european students at my school now and they can't speak english but my school is going out if its way to ensure they're learning and try to encourage the students not to talk Polish (or whatever other language) to each other because its rude.

I don't see why the teacher even placed her in the group, none of my teachers would even think of it, but they wouldn't allow a group of say 4 students who couldn't speak english and another who could.

I think it's the teachers fault for allowing a group like that to work together rather than the girl being "racist".

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its the teachers fault.

and the governments, we need better integration (or less immigration ) in order to prevent this situation occuring. We can't have succesfull schools if the students cannot speak english.

ReputationRep:
    Idiot teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I like the way you guys are speaking as though it is beyond doubt that the story is true. Surely we first need to know if it is true or not?

ReputationRep:
    I hope this happends more and more!! It might wake up some of the dullards as to what is happening.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most interesting aspect of this story isn't the issue of racism - we've seen all that before - but what it shows about the way children are treated. No matter what the girl has said, isn't it just absurd to be arresting children for being offensive in school? When I was in secondary school, if they'd arrested pupils for serious insults, you'd have hardly anyone left in the school. Being offensive is just what secondary school children do.

ReputationRep:
    Since when was racism a crime? I mean that literally - since when was it an arrestable offence? Forgive my incredulity, but this story smells fishy.
    Haha! You think the police are competent enough to know and apply the law? Don't make me laugh! They arrest people, then research the law and find out that there's been no offence, before releasing the victim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Haha! You think the police are competent enough to know and apply the law? Don't make me laugh! They arrest people, then research the law and find out that there's been no offence, before releasing the victim.
    do you know a police officer cannot order you to take off your hat in public?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lock her up and throw away the key.

Although what she said wasn't racist in the slightest and the teacher should be shot.

ReputationRep:
    Why are there kids why can't speak English in GCSE science classes? That's the bit that worries me.

(I'm quite dubious about the rest of the story, given that distinct lack of sense it made)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why is this the first time I have heard of police arresting people "for racism"? This is what I asked. I know no precedent for this. Often when the police act as you suggest above, it is where there are finer points of law to take into account - that is usually when they arrest first and ask questions later - but this is usually within the context of an existing crime. Racism, however, is not a crime, and the idea of a police officer arresting a 14 year old (if she was even "arrested" in the true sense of the word, or simply removed from the scene for some reason or other) for it, just beggars belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wez)
    Why are there kids why can't speak English in GCSE science classes? That's the bit that worries me.

(I'm quite dubious about the rest of the story, given that distinct lack of sense it made)
    This bit dosen't make sense to me either: three students, born in this country (probably), doing GCSE science, and can't speak a word of english. Hmmm.

Looking at the girls picture, you can't help but notice that (as someone commented earlier) 'she has trouble written all over her face.' She probably has a history of this kind of behaviour, which is possibly what caused the teacher to take the actions he/she took.
    That said, most of what I've written above is speculative, and going by what the articles actually contain, you can't help but conclude that the teachers actions were unwise to say the least. Hopefully, after a proper investigation, the full details would emerge and the guilty party would pay for their actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo72)
    haha, just look at her face - she has trouble maker written all over it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is coming from someone who is supposedly tolerant and empathetic.

'Judge her from how her face looks'. Can I do that to black people then?

Forget her getting arrested. How are those kids supposed to learn in an english speaking environment if they do indeed have next to no english? What kind of service is education going to do them if they CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE TEACHER? None. What are they going to do upon leaving if they cannot read application forms or write a CV in the language of the employer. Jesus Christ I despair, I truly do. These kids need to be taken out of GCSE science and put into a foundation english language class. Once they are competent in the language of GCSE exams...they might actually be able to pass. Or do we simply print exam papers in 30 languages now? The government do know not everyone is in the habit of printing everything in 30 languages right...employers for example...

How have we gotten to the point where we are so 'multicultural', not bothering to teach children the language of the country in which they live is acceptable, and indeed, most likely viewed as 'culturally enriching'?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that's where they are expected to learn it...?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that's where they are expected to learn it...?
    What, on the trot? Not going to work. They need to have a command of the language before they can learn in said language. You cannot learn a language out of context.

ReputationRep:
    well, you can learn english by being in a science class but you certainly wont learn much science! and more to the point your presense will hinder the progress of the class, as has happened in this class.

If the kids cant speak english then they should be in a remedial english class, then join their peers when they are able to communicate at an acceptable level.

Of course, these kids should not be in the country because we should not be accepting people for permanent settlement that cannot speak english. Because it means we have to pay for their teaching, madness.

I feel most sorry for the girl, her education is obviously falling far short of where it needs to be due to the governments idiotic policies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.