Turn on thread page Beta

Schoolgirl arrested for refusing to study with non-English pupils watch

• View Poll Results: Should she be charged with racism?
    Yes
    25.25%
    No
    74.75%

ReputationRep:
    They probably do know some English at least.

The girl I mentioned earlier in my science class actually speaks English fluently now, has a grade C English GCSE and is at university, I think. We lost touch after high school.

And I'm concerned about people thinking the girl looks like trouble, due to one moody picture, are teenagers to be judged for being moody idiots now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackLiver)
    No need for the police just send her home.
    why?
    What if the students had been french or german? would it still had been racist? She didnt want to be moved beacusde they were asian she wanted to be moved becasue she couldnt understand what she was saying.

THat teacher needs to be fired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The article)
    A teenage schoolgirl was arrested by police for racism after refusing to sit with a group of Asian students because some of them did not speak English.

Codie Stott’s family claim she was forced to spend three-and-a-half hours in a police cell after she was reported by her teachers.

The 14-year-old - who was released without charge - said it had been a simple matter of commonsense and accused the school and police of an over-the-top reaction.

The incident happened in the same local education authority where a ten-year-old boy was prosecuted earlier this year for calling a schoolfriend racist names in the playground, a move branded by a judge “political correctness gone mad.”

Codie was attending a GCSE science class at Harrop Fold High School in Worsley, Greater Manchester, when the incident happened.

The teenager had not been in school the day before due to a hospital appointment and had missed the start of a project, so the teacher allocated her a group to sit with.

“She said I had to sit there with five Asian pupils,” said Codie yesterday.

“Only one could speak English, so she had to tell that one what to do so she could explain in their language. Then she sat me with them and said ‘Discuss’.”

“I said ‘I’m not being funny, but can I change groups because I can’t understand them?’ But she started shouting and screaming, saying ‘It’s racist, you’re going to get done by the police’.”
    Even in today's ridiculously politically correct world, this story, as has been reported, seems too absurd to believe; there simply has to be more to it. I've had the severe misfortune to meet some morons who've come out with some pretty damned stupid things, as a result of their political correctness-brainwashed minds, but that in bold, in the context which has been suggested, would top them all, in the stupidity stakes; surely no teacher could be so irrational?

Why are pupils who can't speak English, attending classes that require a fairly firm grasp of the English language? Why the Hell would the teacher have allocated her to sit with that particular group? How is it racist, merely to wish to work with a group who speak the Goddamned language you do, and of the country you're in? And what teacher starts screaming and shouting, in front of her pupils, for any reason, let alone one as seemingly silly as this one? Her reported reaction is what I might expect from someone having just witnessed the stabbing of all non-white pupils in the room. I sincerely hope that the current 26.42% of voters who voted 'yes', are suspecting that there must be far more to the incident, than has been reported.

But if the actual incident is as reported, I hope the teacher in question gets knocked down and killed by a bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyslexic_banana)
    But if the actual incident is as reported, I hope the teacher in question gets knocked down and killed by a bus.

The voice of reason has spoken.

ReputationRep:
    like other poeple have said this is only her half of the story and im sure there is more to it. how could anyone in their right mind put someone with a group of people who speak no english and tell the to discuss a lesson? if the other pupils were anything other than asian it wouldnt have been an issue. its silly that this even got into the news in the 1st place.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the teacher is a dumbass!

This country has gone absolutely mad. It's no wonder so many brits are leaving.

Not only should she not have been arrested, being only 14, it is pathetic that it was even followed up. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to sit with many people who can't speak English. I have nothing against multi-culturalism; but it is our country and if immigrants want to attend our schools they need to learn to speak our language.

The girl had every right to refuse, it would have held her education back.

This is the same as the whole 'head-dress in schools' debate. Our country, our language, our rules. If you don't like it you don't go to court. You go home. Simple as that. That probably sounds really harsh but if we go to their country we would show respect for their beliefs; so why can't they do the same with ours?

Anyway I have gone off topic. This girl is 100% right to have acted as she did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave777)
    What a load of rubbish!

The teacher should be sacked!
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonah Ramone)
    This is the same as the whole 'head-dress in schools' debate. Our country, our language, our rules. If you don't like it you don't go to court. You go home. Simple as that. That probably sounds really harsh but if we go to their country we would show respect for their beliefs; so why can't they do the same with ours?
    I wasn't aware that it was part of 'our beliefs' that people had to dress a certain way in order to conform. In fact, being Britain, I thought that was against our beliefs.

If what someone else wears (within reason) annoys you, then it really is your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    I wasn't aware that it was part of 'our beliefs' that people had to dress a certain way in order to conform. In fact, being Britain, I thought that was against our beliefs.
    that has got to be a joke

ReputationRep:

If what someone else wears (within reason) annoys you, then it really is your problem.
    The real voice of reason has spoken. :congrats:

The point was, you can't say I'm not wearing uniform because I am Muslim. This is England. We are NOT a majority Muslim country. And unless a school is specifically set up for Musilims (which quite frankly would be an insult to all Britains) then they should have to abide by theu rules.

Quite frankly if it was an Asian girl refusing to sit with English students I'm sure there would be no such political debate. So why is it even a problem that this girl doesn't want to be hindered by a teachers stupidness?

ReputationRep:
    The point was, you can't say I'm not wearing uniform because I am Muslim. This is England. We are NOT a majority Muslim country.
    Well for one, England isn't a country, it's a nation within the United Kingdom.

And unless a school is specifically set up for Musilims (which quite frankly would be an insult to all Britains) then they should have to abide by theu rules.
    There are Muslim schools in the UK, just as there are Jewish schools, Catholic schools, Church of England schools etc. That's not the point.

State schools are provided for by tax money which is taken indiscriminately from people regardless of their race, colour or creed. Therefore they have a duty to cater to all people. Imposing arbitrary rules on access to state services (for example, a rule against wearing a headscarf) is malfeasance of a public service. The state is suppose to cater to the needs of the population, not vice-versa.

In a private school, fine, they can impose whichever rules they want, but state schools have a duty to cater to the population they serve.

19. What are the foreign policies of the wonderful country of england.
    (if you count it as a country and not a territory of the U.K.) Luke Rossi USA

England is a country.

We need to let the good people at Woodfield Primary School know that England is not a country!

19. "What are the foreign policies of the wonderful country of england.
    (if you count it as a country and not a territory of the U.K.)" Luke Rossi USA

"England is a country."

We need to let the good people at Woodlands Primary School know that England is not a country!

ReputationRep:
    I saw recently a picture of some muslim police officers wearing a black hijab, but with the police black/white pattern around the edge.

It really made me smile.

To me it embodied everything that multiculturalism is about.

PC: "I want to wear a hijab."

Force: "We want you to wear a uniform."

PC: "What if I wear a hijab that's in-keeping with the uniform?"

Force: "OK, great."

PC: "Great."

It's a compromise that no-one has to give up anything for. Muslims get their hijabs, the police force gets its uniform.

If I were running a school with muslims in, I'd make sure that uniform retailers in the locality sold hijabs in the appropriate colour. Same with turbans etc.

I'm assuming that the colour of the hijab makes no difference to muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    If I were running a school with muslims in, I'd make sure that uniform retailers in the locality sold hijabs in the appropriate colour. Same with turbans etc.

I'm assuming that the colour of the hijab makes no difference to muslims.
    Some schools have already realised this. My sister's school, for example, had it in the list of uniform.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools have already realised this. My sister's school, for example, had it in the list of uniform.
    If people are positive about things instead of letting xenophobia cloud their judgement there are often quite simple solutions to problems that can cause a lot of tension.

ReputationRep:
    It is simply a matter of common sense, which as a wise man once said, is not all that common.

ReputationRep:
    The point was, you can't say I'm not wearing uniform because I am Muslim. This is England. We are NOT a majority Muslim country. And unless a school is specifically set up for Musilims (which quite frankly would be an insult to all Britains) then they should have to abide by theu rules.

Quite frankly if it was an Asian girl refusing to sit with English students I'm sure there would be no such political debate. So why is it even a problem that this girl doesn't want to be hindered by a teachers stupidness?
    Your lot (assuming you're a jew) get jewish state schools...why can't we have ours? It seems you want to try and deny us the right to our faith, just like you deny us the right to our land in other parts of the world.

It's a real shame - most israelis (again assuming you're israeli) that I've spoken to are cool, but you are an absolute ****.

EDIT: that four letter word starts with a c

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.