I'm really confused about UCAS points,I just want to know how many I need to get an A

Watch
joyfulblake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not really interested on how it's calculated, I get that. I just want to know how many UCAS points, minimum, I need to get an A in A-level MATHS. Its a simple question, but I just can't understand why I can't find the answer, after surfing the web for hours :confused:

At, AS, I didn't really put in the work (which I regret disgustingly), I got a C overall, 105 UCAS points, but I need to get an A overall, if I want to do the course that I want at Uni. Okay lets say I get three A's this year, in M1, C3 and C4, could I average an A? Or do I really need to resist one of the exams from last year C1,C2 or S1?

So how many points am I off an A overall? And if I get an A in one of my exams (C3,C4,) how many UCAS points is that?

I know my school should have really explained all this to me, but unfortunately there useless. Thank you to anyone, who can actually answer my questions, and help me
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joyfulblake)
I'm not really interested on how it's calculated, I get that. I just want to know how many UCAS points, minimum, I need to get an A in A-level MATHS. Its a simple question, but I just can't understand why I can't find the answer, after surfing the web for hours :confused:

At, AS, I didn't really put in the work (which I regret disgustingly), I got a C overall, 105 UCAS points, but I need to get an A overall, if I want to do the course that I want at Uni. Okay lets say I get three A's this year, in M1, C3 and C4, could I average an A? Or do I really need to resist one of the exams from last year C1,C2 or S1?

So how many points am I off an A overall? And if I get an A in one of my exams (C3,C4,) how many UCAS points is that?

I know my school should have really explained all this to me, but unfortunately there useless. Thank you to anyone, who can actually answer my questions, and help me
UCAS points aren't the points within an A-level, they are the points that you get from the qualification afterwards.
You are probably talking about UMS points. These are the scaled marks from your exams. Each half A-level is out of 300 UMS, the grades are 10% apart, for example an A is 80%, a C is 60% (180 UMS), I'd say that you probably got a C, but got confused looking at the results

To get an A overall, you need 480 UMS overall out of 600.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As said above, you need 480 total UMS to get an A. You must have less than 210 to get a C at AS. You would need over 270 UMS (more than 90%) in the A2 to have any chance of an A unless you resit some of your AS units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joyfulblake)

You are confusing 3 different things: UCAS points, QCA points and UMS marks.

What you want to know about is UMS. For any 6 unit A level you need 480/600 to get an A overall. If you got a C at AS then you got somewhere between 180 and 209 UMS out of 300 - just add the marks you got from C1, C2 and S1 to find out exactly what. To get an A overall you will need to get (480-your AS UMS)/300 form the 3 A2 units. This could be anything from 300/300 if you scraped the C to 271/300 if you got a high C. Given those numbers, you'd b advised to re-sit an AS unit.

(UCAS points and QCA points only apply to complete qualifications - a C at AS is worth 40UCAS points or 105 QCA points.)
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Compost)

What you want to know about is UMS. For any 6 unit A level you need 480/600 to get an A overall. If you got a C at AS then you got somewhere between 180 and 209 UMS out of 300 - just add the marks you got from C1, C2 and S1 to find out exactly what. To get an A overall you will need to get (480-your AS UMS)/300 form the 3 A2 units. This could be anything from 300/300 if you scraped the C to 271/300 if you got a high C. Given those numbers, you'd b advised to re-sit an AS unit.

(UCAS points and QCA points only apply to complete qualifications - a C at AS is worth 40UCAS points or 105 QCA points.)
I was wondering where they got 105 from
joyfulblake
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
UCAS points aren't the points within an A-level, they are the points that you get from the qualification afterwards.
You are probably talking about UMS points. These are the scaled marks from your exams. Each half A-level is out of 300 UMS, the grades are 10% apart, for example an A is 80%, a C is 60% (180 UMS), I'd say that you probably got a C, but got confused looking at the results

To get an A overall, you need 480 UMS overall out of 600.
Oh, now I get it, my bad, I was confusing UCAS points with UMS, sorry about that guys. Anyways thank you so much
joyfulblake
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)

Thanks for clarifying everything, now I get it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads