Turn on thread page Beta

Do you play the lottery? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you play the Lottery?
    Yes, I put a quid down, or more, every week.
    9.23%
    Sometimes. But not every week.
    32.31%
    No, it's pointless and a waste of money.
    55.38%
    What the hell is the lottery, you freak!
    3.08%

ReputationRep:
    This accounts for Lotto, Lotto Hotpicks, EuroMillions, Thunderball, DreamNumber, all of them basically.

I never used to play but last week I ended up buying 3 thunderball tickets and this week I won a fiver on a scratch card (Don't asked why I bought one of those) and spent 3 quid on a lotto ticket and thunderball ticket for tomorrow along with a EuroMillions ticket.

The odds of me winning something are really small, like 1/75... the odds of winning over a few hundred start to go up into the thousands, then millions. God knows why I waste so much money on this.

ReputationRep:
    My grandad buys me 2 Lotto tickets every week. He's done it for about 5 years now and I'm sure he still thinks I'm only 12. But I'm not complaining!
    I win a tenner every now and again, and I've won £60-£70 (4 numbers) a few times.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes play lotto hotpicks pick 3 like once every 2 weeks...

ReputationRep:
    Id really like to play the lottery.... but everytime I go to my local supermarket the queue is awful for the lottery and I just cant be bothered waiting... yes, Im lazy! I did at one point play it online but I got fed up of that too!

Perhaps I should just save my money and not bother!

Having said that though, I know quite a few people who have won quite good amounts: one colleague of mine won £7,000 a few years back, a relative won £11,000 and someone else I know won £25,000. But I suppose theres thousands of other people that win nothing each week lol!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 will ever be drawn?

If you do then you're a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planet649)
    Do you think the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 will ever be drawn?

If you do then you're a fool.
    No... They will never be drawn. Only a fool will believe that of course.

ReputationRep:
    I played it once but i don't really bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolworld37)
    No... They will never be drawn. Only a fool will believe that of course.
    Oh and have u heard of this one. Some people pick birthday numbers as their chosen lottery numbers therefore they've lost before the draw has even started.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't... But I'll try maybe next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    This accounts for Lotto, Lotto Hotpicks, EuroMillions, Thunderball, DreamNumber, all of them basically.

I never used to play but last week I ended up buying 3 thunderball tickets and this week I won a fiver on a scratch card (Don't asked why I bought one of those) and spent 3 quid on a lotto ticket and thunderball ticket for tomorrow along with a EuroMillions ticket.

The odds of me winning something are really small, like 1/75... the odds of winning over a few hundred start to go up into the thousands, then millions. God knows why I waste so much money on this.
    3*Thunderball tickets
    1?* scratchcard
    3*lotto tickets
    =£7 - and you think that you won £5??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessyfencer)
    3*Thunderball tickets
    1?* scratchcard
    3*lotto tickets
    =£7 - and you think that you won £5??
    When I say I won I mean in reference to this week, not past spent on last weeks tickets.

I spent 50p on the scratchcard. I made an overall profit of £2 as the other 3 went to tickets.

Oh and I did win £5. Go look up the definition. That which I spent beforehand doesn't rule out what I win through prizes.

ReputationRep:
    I won £25,000 on the offical (£100,000) scrach card. Not lying totaly serious nobody ever belives me but thats ok.

Ive also won £25 £50 £150. Its a nice feeling when you see three numbers can't discribe it. I don't play the National Loto. Its fixed. You wait it will come out. Its fixed!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I play scratchcards all the time. I always mean to go without, but I'm sold by the bright colours.

ReputationRep:
    When I say I won I mean in reference to this week, not past spent on last weeks tickets.

I spent 50p on the scratchcard. I made an overall profit of £2 as the other 3 went to tickets.
    It still aint winning unfortunately. Sooner or later you will always, always loose (OK, ignoring the fact that some people in the country have won a lot as it is such a small amount of people).

Where do you get 50p scratchcards though?

ReputationRep:
    I've never played... but looking at that huge list reminds me how daft it is getting with all the different types of games you can play. I can't help feeling it is a ploy to rake more money from those with a gambling problem. Surely the one lotto would suffice?

ReputationRep:
    It still aint winning unfortunately. Sooner or later you will always, always loose (OK, ignoring the fact that some people in the country have won a lot as it is such a small amount of people).

Where do you get 50p scratchcards though?
    Yes it is winning. You are looking for the word profit.

It wasn't really a scratch card, more an instant win game at the national-lottery website.

The lottery isn't fixed, there is no need for it to be. Why, for example, would they fix it so that idiot chav won the jackpot and blew it all within a year?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is winning. You are looking for the word profit.
    But there is no profit, you are down a couple quid.

ReputationRep:
    But there is no profit, you are down a couple quid.
    I mean in the sense: 'you have made no profit, you have made a loss'. Please apply some common sense.

ReputationRep:
    So how is it winning if there is no profit?

ReputationRep:
    Because you win the prize. The prize may not cover all expenses but nevertheless, it is a prize you have won.

Care for me to go on? Do you by any chance work in burger king?

Please stop trampling over this topic and talking such crap.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.