Turn on thread page Beta

If an inactive person cut their calorie intake by 1000 calories and ate healthily and started doing 1 hour of cardio daily and weighed 11st 4lbs, height around 5' 5" how much weight can they expect to loose in the first two weeks? Then each week thereafter, for about 4/5 weeks? In the first two weeks how many dress sizes would you lose (women)?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    OK, assuming one hour's cardio is 600 calories burnt, that equals 1600 calories a day, which equals 11200 calories per week, which in theory is 3.2lbs of weight lost per week.

Assuming you keep your fluid levels high, in the first 2 weeks it's perfectly feasible that the 6/7lbs you lose will be mostly fat, since 11st 4 at 5'5" is definitely carrying quite a few extra pounds.

Obviously the lower your bodyfat percentage gets, the more difficult it will be to continue to lose bodyfat at that rate.

ReputationRep:
    Tip - don't cut your calorie intake by 1000 calories in one go! Your body will go into "starvation mode" and slow down your metabolism.
    From your stats, you don't even sound overweight. Just eat healthily, cut out the cr*p and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    since 11st 4 at 5'5" is definitely carrying quite a few extra pounds.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura Lou)
    :confused:
    She's 5 inches shorter than me, only like 8 pounds lighter, and I'm a reasonably muscular guy.

Definitely carrying a few extra pounds.

Tip - don't cut your calorie intake by 1000 calories in one go! Your body will go into "starvation mode" and slow down your metabolism.
    From your stats, you don't even sound overweight. Just eat healthily, cut out the cr*p and you should be fine.
    Back in July I cut my calorie intake by about 1500 and I lost about 5lbs in the first week albeit most probably water retention or whatever, now that I have my bike I am thinking of going back on the diet and teaming it with the regular exercise. The only reason I didn't carry on with it was because I didn't have time to go shopping the week after so ate the junk that was in the house and the second week after I went away

ReputationRep:
    1000 calories is a fine amount to cut your calorie intake by. As long as you're still eating enough that your body thinks it's getting fed, your metabolism won't shut down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Back in July I cut my calorie intake by about 1500 and I lost about 5lbs in the first week albeit most probably water retention or whatever, now that I have my bike I am thinking of going back on the diet and teaming it with the regular exercise. The only reason I didn't carry on with it was because I didn't have time to go shopping the week after so ate the junk that was in the house and the second week after I went away
    It's unrealistic to be able to maintain such a low calorific intake - especially if you're used to the extra 1000 calories. It's just not a sensible way to lose weight IMO.

As long as you're still eating enough that your body thinks it's getting fed, your metabolism won't shut down.
    No it won't shut down but it'll slow down - making it harder to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    It's unrealistic to be able to maintain such a low calorific intake - especially if you're used to the extra 1000 calories. It's just not a sensible way to lose weight IMO.
    It's perfectly realistic if you plan your diet out, and make sure it's something you can stick to.

I actually got my diet plan from a personal trainer.

ReputationRep:
    No it won't shut down but it'll slow down - making it harder to lose weight.
    That's simply not true. Why do you think calorie cycling is such an efficient method for shedding bodyfat? Your metabolism doesn't slow down that easily. Dropping your calorie intake beyond a certain level will do it, but dropping it drastically won't.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly realistic if you plan your diet out, and make sure it's something you can stick to.
    Why do you think so many people find it hard to lose weight? People find diets like that difficult to stick to.

ReputationRep:
    Cutting a high amount of calories suddenly is not recomended, especially with an extra hour a day of cardio incorporated.

Create a new diet make sure it contains all the essentials, spread your meals out, eat healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think so many people find it hard to lose weight? People find diets like that difficult to stick to.
    Some people have no willpower.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have no willpower.
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    exactly
    Well, I have no sympathy for someone who complains about their physique, but doesn't want to change it enough that they stick to a strict diet.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, that's generally what happens.

(edit: this isn't directed to the OP btw)

Back on topic, as I am interested to know as I am thinking of going back on the diet but going clothes shopping next week, so I dont want to buy clothes that are too small, or are going to be too big in a few weeks. How many inches can you expect to lose? I am currently a size 12 (or 14 in some shops ) could I get to a low 12/10 either before I buy my clothes or a week or so later?

ReputationRep:
    By cutting it by such a drastic amount you shcok you're body and actually slow ur metabolism down, dont.....

Cut it by 250 a week, and do the cardio you've put above..... Then 250 the next week.

Weight Gain/ Loss is a marathon, if you try and do it quickly you will only make things worse.
    By 250 a week, NO MORE.

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight is a slow process, losing mass(inches) is even slower, give it time and with enough will power you will succeed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 14, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.