Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would tap water be Homogeneous or Heterogeneous? I mean, when you pour a glass it looks homogeneous, but when looking closer you can normally see tiny specks of whatever crap they put into tap water. Just trying to fully understand the difference between the two, only I think I have the just of it.

ReputationRep:
    Homo means same, hetero means different.

That's about as much help as i can put forward, as I don't really know in what context you would use this with tap water.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Tap water is definitely a very heterogenous solution (suspension). It will contain salts, metals, halides, and lots of other different things. Plus bacteria and viruses.

ReputationRep:
    Ace, thanks. So can we tell the difference between the two by just looking at a solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessyfencer)
    Ace, thanks. So can we tell the difference between the two by just looking at a solution?
    Between the two of what? Completely *pure* water is essentially impossible to attain. Even the ultra-pure water you can buy such as AnalR water (a far higher grade than even double or tripple distilled / irradiated / filtered water) has trace levels of contamination (at nanomolar concentrations) (as I find much to my frustration in my current experiments). But don't get me started on that... :p:

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.