The Student Room Group

Cambridge University and STEM snobbery

Cambridge give ti to Oxford yet again: https://sturents.com/news/post/2014/12/12/cambridge-tops-employability-tables/301/

Yet I think it will only enforce the worrying trend of STEM snobbery.

Why are humanities graduates looked at as being less employable? It's not like the ten of thousands of physics students in the UK are all going on to design Large Hadron Colliders...
To answer the Q, why are humanities graduates looked upon as less employable: I think humanities graduates are bright, but from what has become clearer to me since graduating, STEM is productivity, innovation, knowledge which are employability. You are simply equipped and primed to be in certain work environments.
Reply 2
STEM grads can get jobs that don't need a specific degree subject like management or accountancy and those that do need specific subjects like engineering or science.

Most humanities grads can't apply for engineering or science jobs and there are very few jobs outside the few in academia and teaching where a specific humanities degree is required.

If you find your employment prospects curtailed by your degree subject, change your degree.
Original post by eugenej215
Cambridge give ti to Oxford yet again: https://sturents.com/news/post/2014/12/12/cambridge-tops-employability-tables/301/

Yet I think it will only enforce the worrying trend of STEM snobbery.

Why are humanities graduates looked at as being less employable? It's not like the ten of thousands of physics students in the UK are all going on to design Large Hadron Colliders...

You're making a somewhat quantum leap by taking a Cambridge's higher position on a particular league table to be in any way related to STEM snobbery. As far as I am aware, both Cambridge and Oxford offer a very similar amount of STEM subjects.

The table itself is somewhat nonsensical, being based on interviews with recruiters (who typically don't actually work with the graduates they recruit) as opposed to statistics, of which we have plenty of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending