The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't think it'll make a difference to getting in, but I do think it'll make life a lot easier for yourself once you get there, or indeed any other top uni studying economics.
i think it makes a difference i phoned up askign about economics for IB and the guy wanted a 7 in HL maths now people will debate this but a 7 in HL maths is defintily, consiering time restrictions etc harder to get than an A in normal maths and prob nearing as hard as further maths, although obviously furhter is more stuff but erm eyah i think having further is helpful. but then u have economics so i don't think it should be a problem.
Reply 3
There was a survey carried out not too long ago on the LSE forum about those who had successfully received offers for Economics at LSE.

I think at least 90% of them had at least attempted F Maths at A Level, and approximately half received offers based on their F Maths grade as well.
Reply 4
I'm doing Econ atm, I didn't do F maths, and nor did 1 other economist at my college. The other 4 did F Maths, one to AS, two to A2, and one actually did additional further maths.
It's not needed to get in - the interview assesses your analytical powers, they don't seem too interested in how good you are at maths. However, as someone has said, life will be a bit easier once you get here, as you'll understand the maths (to begin with) rather than learning it anew.
Reply 5
I would bin the critical thinking (it won't be part of your offer) and take up the full Further Maths A level. It will also be a great help for Maths A level
Reply 6
The only person I know that has got into Econ@Cam did have Further Maths. It is DEFINITELY an advantage....
Reply 7
The best thing to do is to disregard anecdotal evidence and focus on what Cambridge themselves say, which is that the only essential is Maths AS level. Though the majority of colleges will require Maths A2.
The only other subjects listed as desirable are Economics and History. That means they'll benefit your application, but their absence won't lead to rejection.
Further Mathematics is considered useful by Christ's, Churchill, Downing, Newnham, Gonville and Caius, Magdalene, and Queens' Colleges.
So, dependant on where you want to apply, if you would prefer Physics to F Maths, do Physics. The most important stage of the application will be the interview, in any case.
quite worried now! im only doing AS and A2 maths in my 2nd year of college, didnt even consider further maths! got an interview on sat tho. readin this thread my chances seem slim to none!
Reply 9
IF you have an opportunity and time - take FM -it will only strengthen your application. This is what I have gathered from various forums.!
Reply 10
rockloverneil1
quite worried now! im only doing AS and A2 maths in my 2nd year of college, didnt even consider further maths! got an interview on sat tho. readin this thread my chances seem slim to none!

Chill! You've got an interview. Focus on your strengths and not on what you perceive you don't have. Good Luck!!!
haha thank you :smile: surprisingly im not normally a nervous person. just dnt really like the sound of the "short test" in case its full of maths i havent come across yet! : )
Reply 12
Original post by Apagg
The best thing to do is to disregard anecdotal evidence and focus on what Cambridge themselves say, which is that the only essential is Maths AS level. Though the majority of colleges will require Maths A2.
The only other subjects listed as desirable are Economics and History. That means they'll benefit your application, but their absence won't lead to rejection.
Further Mathematics is considered useful by Christ's, Churchill, Downing, Newnham, Gonville and Caius, Magdalene, and Queens' Colleges.
So, dependant on where you want to apply, if you would prefer Physics to F Maths, do Physics. The most important stage of the application will be the interview, in any case.

Hey, I would like to apply to Corpus Christi this year, do you think doing AS further math stats in my free time will be beneficial for the course?
Reply 13
Original post by JackFu
Hey, I would like to apply to Corpus Christi this year, do you think doing AS further math stats in my free time will be beneficial for the course?

This is a 10 year old thread that contains out of date information (Maths A-level *is* currently required) and is now closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending