The Student Room Group

GCSE options this year i want be a psychologists?

i wanna to be a psychologists when im older
and im choosing my options soon but i dont know hat to chose

in our school
English
maths
science
re
PE
are compulsory

and i was thinking of doing

It
History/French
Sociology
Business
or maybe media studies

do you think these are bad im not really intelligent or good with memory
im trying for something not so time consuming or hard
thank you for reading
Reply 1
Original post by marymary11
i wanna to be a psychologists when im older
and im choosing my options soon but i dont know hat to chose

IT, Business and Media studies won't help psychology at all. Sociology will in some respects and History -may- prove useful in some regards but I've found that AS/A Psychology is composed mainly of psychology it self, alongside mathematical calculations.

That's also another thing: focus on getting your knowledge of Mathematics to a suitable level at GCSE.
Reply 2
I think the only GCSEs that really matter when you're applying to do psychology at uni are english and maths. Some universities, but not all, prefer at least 1 science at A-level (between psychology, biology, chemistry and maybe physics). Most Scottish unis require Maths at A level.

I think history may relate to psychology because a study on obedience looked at why the Nazi soldiers obeyed Hitler, so there's that. I'm not sure about sociology as my school doesn't offer it so I don't know what it entails. For the rest of the options, I'd choose a subject I know I will do well in or enjoy because like I said at the moment the only GCSEs that really matter to uni's are English and Maths, and sciences will give you a head start!

Edit: don't feel pressured to choose the absolutely right subjects for psychology. Try and keep your options open because you could change your mind halfway, and if you don't change your mind there's no harm in learning a subject outside the scope of psychology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest