The Student Room Group

Is History a poor choice for a degree?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a good one
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ETRC
Arts degrees outside the top 20 unis should not exist imo. And some grads from Oxbridge CHOOSE not to get a job. Some people like to try discover something in theoretical maths/physics by themselves or just do something else. Some people might go on holiday for more than 6 months afterwards, who knows. These employment stats provided by unis are very vague and can be misleading.

Why would they choose not to get a job? What would they do at home all day?
Reply 62
Original post by cheeriosarenice

Enjoying their rents.
Original post by chidchilli
I'm in my final year of A levels, I got AAAC last year and sent off my UCAS app in October with most of my offers already recieved. i'm going to firm Warwick for History, but I'm concerned that I'm going to regret this later. Like anyone else, I'm only going to uni to improve my job prospects but after reading around on the internet it seems like History will get me absolutely nowhere. I'm aware of the arguments for history, "can go into anything and keeps your option open" "many go in to law", this is what sold it to me in the Summer, but reading around that doesnt seem to be the case and now I'm seriously thinking about it. Any history graduates with advice or experience? Or anyone else, I really need different views on this (even if they are harsh). Am I bettter off looking into apprenticeships to get experience instead? Or possibly a different degree? (I have no science subjects and I think I'm starting to regret it)

"Like anyone else, I'm only going to uni to improve my job prospects but after reading around on the internet it seems like History will get me absolutely nowhere."

I think therein lies the main problem.

If you only want to go to university for the improvement of your job prospects, do something vocational, or don't go at all. Please don't waste the time of History tutors if you're not actually passionate about the subject. Given the already sketchy employability of arts subjects, there's no point in studying them unless you really, really care about them in an intellectually holistic sense. People will tell you a lot about transferable skills, but the whole point of that moniker is that they're transferable: you lift them out of something greater. If that "something greater" (your History degree) doesn't really matter to you, you're going to have a tough time actually getting through your degree in the first place. "But... I can say I'm able to both write and read with critical accuracy on my CV!" won't be much comfort when it's 4am and you're slaving away on essays you don't want to write.

It's harsh, but it's true. Sincerely, an English student who would fight to the death in the throes of dedication to her field of study.
History is a fast acting subject but unless you ean't to be a teacher or work in a museum it is positively useless you could becom an expert on the Romans or somthing and that opens up archoligy witch is a fasanating thing to do see if you can go and do a bit at a local dig site to see if it's your kind of thing.
Original post by New- Emperor
History is a fast acting subject but unless you ean't to be a teacher or work in a museum it is positively useless you could becom an expert on the Romans or somthing and that opens up archoligy witch is a fasanating thing to do see if you can go and do a bit at a local dig site to see if it's your kind of thing.

I don't think a degree in a strong, traditional subject from a decent university is ever "positively useless".
Reply 66
I think the there is a big difference between a graduate with an arts degree and one with a STEM degree.

With an arts degree, the knowledge gained from it is not applicable to almost all jobs. So the arts graduate is really selling himself to potential employers. That is he is selling his ability to take in and process information, interpret it and apply it. Plus he is selling his team working, interpersonal and effeciency and time keeping skills.

The STEM graduate in addition to the above has some useful knowledge such as job specific skills and maths skills that most arts grads don't have.

So the STEM grad has a wider range of jobs she can apply for and do while the arts grad has fewer jobs she can do and apply for.
Original post by mediocrely
"Like anyone else, I'm only going to uni to improve my job prospects but after reading around on the internet it seems like History will get me absolutely nowhere."

If you only want to go to university for the improvement of your job prospects, do something vocational, or don't go at all. Please don't waste the time of History tutors if you're not actually passionate about the subject. Given the already sketchy employability of arts subjects, there's no point in studying them unless you really, really care about them in an intellectually holistic sense. People will tell you a lot about transferable skills, but the whole point of that moniker is that they're transferable: you lift them out of something greater. If that "something greater" (your History degree) doesn't really matter to you, you're going to have a tough time actually getting through your degree in the first place. "But... I can say I'm able to both write and read with critical accuracy on my CV!" won't be much comfort when it's 4am and you're slaving away on essays you don't want to write.

It's harsh, but it's true. Sincerely, an English student who would fight to the death in the throes of dedication to her field of study.

I understand your point, but that's not a problem. I am passionate about the subject, its the only one I see myself studying. My issue is that, I'm not going to uni for the fun of it, or for the joys of learning history. "Like anyone else, I'm only going to uni to improve my job prospects" and if a degree in History wont do that then I'm not going to waste time and money on it.
Original post by mediocrely

I completely agree with your sentiment here: far far far too many people go to university because 'it's expected' of them by their families, or because they (often erroneously) believe that it is the surest route to an at least mildly prestigious job. Students across all subjects should only go to university if they have the passion and the genuinely high levels of aptitude required to make success likely. Indeed, and I realise this may place me firmly within a rightwing camp, I think New Labour's target of having 50 per cent of all young people attending university has been thoroughly misguided and is, in essence, nonsense.

(Just stirring the pot, y'all.)
I'm aware of the arguments for history, "can go into anything and keeps your option open" "many go in to law", this is what sold it to me in the Summer, but reading around that doesnt seem to be the case and now I'm seriously thinking about it.

The 'can go into anything' will be less apparent on graduation. I have a non-STEM degree (graduated in May) and it doesn't allow you to just go into anything. There are things like conversion courses and more general graduate schemes.

You could improve your job prospects by going into education or conversion courses where a first degree is necessary. Someone I know's mum did history and became an accountant.

So yes it seems there are ways that having a first degree opens doors. I personally think history is an important subject. Recently in the Western hemisphere though, investing in liberal arts comes with a steep cost because of the tuition spike. On the other hand the world seems set up so that merely having the certificate is important.

I was thinking about going to graduate school (for an MA --- cringe) with a plan to take it to phd. Recently I've encountered a lot of "could have gone to the library" arguments on the internet and am reconsidering.

If you have the time listen to this presentation on y/t (from the US but applies here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbiGp39ML_0 "Worthless degrees" see what you think.

I think your OP says you've applied. If you could/can do something hard-technical I might recommend that. Otherwise history is a cool degree, which shows you are studious, and bearing in mind the general high calibre of history students. You can do things with it, so if you're dead set on uni you could do it. Bear in mind you obviously can't become a petrol engineer with it.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SebCross
Indeed, and I realise this may place me firmly within a rightwing camp, I think New Labour's target of having 50 per cent of all young people attending university has been thoroughly misguided and is, in essence, nonsense.

It's a horrific target and goal based on mal-information about the purpose and utility of unis. It might work if the target students took harder realistic subjects but for many many people vocational routes are much better.
Reply 71
Original post by Dylann
Actually I am very aware of people not getting degrees and still earning money. I was going to include it but I thought we were simply comparing degree types. I am teaching myself programming for example, an invaluable and rewarding skill that will be extremely useful in the future, despite not doing a Comp Sci degree.

Many people do pay off their student loans, and often because they chose the right degree and have a good job now. I like your last line, and it applies to many BA courses. Unfortunately, you simply cannot teach medicine or engineering in the library.

What I meant was that most people DO pay of the loans but about 95+% of it. Not many people pay off the whole thing because they take out 7 or 9% of your monthly income I think so it takes some time to pay the whole thing. And many BA courses need something that you simply cannot do at home because I don't see how it can help find a job in this economy where a high level mathematical/scientific knowledge is almost a must to get a decent job unless you have some insanely good idea for a business.
My daughter is a junior freshman studying History and Political Science. She initially wanted to be a reporter but is now thinking of political lobbying. She absolutely adores history, and is really happy in her subject.

As a mum, that is what is important to me - a happy daughter studying the subject she loves rather than plodding through a degree that she hates just because it is 'employable'.

Life is for living - enjoy it by allowing your heart to share in the decisions you make.
Reply 73
Original post by cheeriosarenice

As I said they can try and discover unknowns of science, learn more about their field independently. There are a lot of things they can do with their knowledge without a job.
Reply 74
Original post by Josb
Enjoying their rents.

LMAO
Reply 75
Original post by SebCross
I completely agree with your sentiment here: far far far too many people go to university because 'it's expected' of them by their families, or because they (often erroneously) believe that it is the surest route to an at least mildly prestigious job. Students across all subjects should only go to university if they have the passion and the genuinely high levels of aptitude required to make success likely. Indeed, and I realise this may place me firmly within a rightwing camp, I think New Labour's target of having 50 per cent of all young people attending university has been thoroughly misguided and is, in essence, nonsense.

I think if more of the 50% of young people studied subjects that employers said they would like such as engineering, it would make sense to have more students.

I have never heard of employers saying they are crying out for more history or english graduates but plenty say they want people who are good at maths and other technical skills.
Original post by Maker
If they did not get jobs they were overqualified for, they were applying for the wrong ones, I am sure they are capable of trying for jobs they are qualified for.

I think most arts degrees are only good for decent paid jobs if they are from the top unis. An arts degree shows employers you can't do maths or science so its pretty useless.

An arts degree from a low tier uni shows you aren't clever enough to realise you have just wasted 3 years and £50k on something that does nothing to increase your employability while saddling you with a big debt and would have been better off getting a job instead of going to uni.

I study politics at Oxford Brookes and I love it. Yes, I'm fully aware that I may not have the same employability credentials as someone who did an arts degree at somewhere like Oxford or UCL, despite what you may think about people who go to a lower uni/ex-poly.
But I still want to get a decent job out of my degree even if I'm not sure what I want to do and don't believe that where I went will massively hinder me as long as I have come out with a decent mark. I could've just got a job like you said but I love learning and wanted to continue in formal education instead of just reading a book, which I would find dull and uninspiring. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting but it really annoys me when people who don't do a STEM subject or go to lower ranked uni are branded 'useless' by some users on this forum.
Reply 77
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
My daughter is a junior freshman studying History and Political Science. She initially wanted to be a reporter but is now thinking of political lobbying. She absolutely adores history, and is really happy in her subject.

As a mum, that is what is important to me - a happy daughter studying the subject she loves rather than plodding through a degree that she hates just because it is 'employable'.

Life is for living - enjoy it by allowing your heart to share in the decisions you make.

The other option is to not spend the money doing a degree which has no obvious career path and get a job instead because I assume your daughter has good A level grades.

My daughter is good at humanities but I would not encourage her to spend the price of a big deposit on a house to study a degree subject that would not improve her employment prospects.

I have no objection to her studying subjects she likes like english and drama in her own time but I think she has to be realistic about her future because we can't afford to fund her after graduation if she needs to do internships or a post graduate degree because getting a decent paid job with an arts degree is very tough.
Reply 78
Original post by pink pineapple
I study politics at Oxford Brookes and I love it. Yes, I'm fully aware that I may not have the same employability credentials as someone who did an arts degree at somewhere like Oxford or UCL, despite what you may think about people who go to a lower uni/ex-poly.
But I still want to get a decent job out of my degree even if I'm not sure what I want to do and don't believe that where I went will massively hinder me as long as I have come out with a decent mark. I could've just got a job like you said but I love learning and wanted to continue in formal education instead of just reading a book, which I would find dull and uninspiring. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting but it really annoys me when people who don't do a STEM subject or go to lower ranked uni are branded 'useless' by some users on this forum.

You sound like the sort of person who will suceed despite rather than because of what they studied. I don't think arts subjects are useless, I think they don't improve your employability which is different. I understand OB is one of the better ex ploys. I did my masters at an ex ploy so its immaterial to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
I think if more of the 50% of young people studied subjects that employers said they would like such as engineering, it would make sense to have more students.

I have never heard of employers saying they are crying out for more history or english graduates but plenty say they want people who are good at maths and other technical skills.

This is true, but as a passionate history student, I would hope many companies would look benevolently at the sorts of analytical, writing and language skills that history students develop over the course of (most) history degrees. But generally I do agree: subjects area which bear greater resemblance to the world of work should be emphasised more strongly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending