rubarbman12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

I was looking into the ideal gas laws. Although they've been proven on Earth, has the law been testing in space, eg) by satellite or on the space station?

More specifically has gay-lussacs law which says the pressure of a given mass of gas varies directly with the kelvin temperature when the volume remains constant. Has this even been tested in space, and would it be relevant within a space station environment?

Thanks!
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rubarbman12)
Hi there,

I was looking into the ideal gas laws. Although they've been proven on Earth, has the law been testing in space, eg) by satellite or on the space station?

More specifically has gay-lussacs law which says the pressure of a given mass of gas varies directly with the kelvin temperature when the volume remains constant. Has this even been tested in space, and would it be relevant within a space station environment?

Thanks!
I'm a little confused... You're asking whether the gas laws apply in space? There is no atmosphere in space, it's a vacuum
rubarbman12
Rep:
?
(Original post by langlitz)
I'm a little confused... You're asking whether the gas laws apply in space? There is no atmosphere in space, it's a vacuum
I mean inside a space station, a space station environment or does 0G effect the laws?
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I mean inside a space station, a space station environment or does 0G effect the laws?
No gravity has no effect on the laws, what makes you think it would?
rubarbman12
Rep:
?
(Original post by langlitz)
No gravity has no effect on the laws, what makes you think it would?
To be honest, I don't have a clue. I was tasked with the challenge to come up with an idea for an experiment that could be carried out on the ISS.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Thanks!
Huh? Space is a vacuum....

Inside a space station then the ideal gas laws would still be the same.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, I don't have a clue. I was tasked with the challenge to come up with an idea for an experiment that could be carried out on the ISS.
At small practical scales, the effects of gravity on a gas doesn't really matter, it's only at large altitude differences where any of that has an effect (lower air pressure etc).

So you have to make an experiment that can be carried out in the ISS, any particular theme? Does it have to be about gas laws or can it be anything? Such as the physics of fluids of different densities - Oil floats on water, so what happens when you put a bubble of water towards a bubble of oil? Could you make a layered sphere? And so on? Water in space is crazy.

Maybe test how to make a robot with a gyroscope that adjusts itself 'upright' with respect to a signal or stops itself from spinning if it collides with something?
rubarbman12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
At small practical scales, the effects of gravity on a gas doesn't really matter, it's only at large altitude differences where any of that has an effect (lower air pressure etc).

So you have to make an experiment that can be carried out in the ISS, any particular theme? Does it have to be about gas laws or can it be anything? Such as the physics of fluids of different densities - Oil floats on water, so what happens when you put a bubble of water towards a bubble of oil? Could you make a layered sphere? And so on? Water in space is crazy.

Maybe test how to make a robot with a gyroscope that adjusts itself 'upright' with respect to a signal or stops itself from spinning if it collides with something?
Well the idea is much like the experiments carried out up there today, a program will be run on a computer which uses sensors such as barometric sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, magnatometer, temp sensor and infra-rad camera. This experiment is to collect data throughout the day.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well the idea is much like the experiments carried out up there today, a program will be run on a computer which uses sensors such as barometric sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, magnatometer, temp sensor and infra-rad camera. This experiment is to collect data throughout the day.

Have a look at this video and maybe a couple of other ones on the same channel, it may help give you a good idea!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads