Liah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I would like to study English Literature at Cambridge and I know I want to do English Lit, History and Drama for A level but I need a forth. The choices I am choosing from are: Creative Writing, Government and Politics, Maths or History of Art. If I need to get into such a high university which A level do you recommend as my forth? Thankyou
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe for arts courses at Cambridge they simply take into account your best three A-levels, so choose whatever you think you'll most likely get an A* in.
TSRnika
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Liah)
So I would like to study English Literature at Cambridge and I know I want to do English Lit, History and Drama for A level but I need a forth. The choices I am choosing from are: Creative Writing, Government and Politics, Maths or History of Art. If I need to get into such a high university which A level do you recommend as my forth? Thankyou
Oxbridge do have a recommended list of A levels they prefer. Although its not imperative it would certainly help your application. Straight off the bat, history would work really well and is a very recognized subject, I am not too sure how well Drama will fair....
But then again it depends on the subject and English and drama are connected courses!
Eanzi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths is über hard but looks good. Creative writing is a great a level but redbricks are snobs and sometimes look down on it.
Id suggest gov+pol because it looks good and teaches you a lot of great stuff, but as you have a lot of exam based subjects if you carry those three to a2 and do an AS in CW that'd show a good range of skills.
Liah
Rep:
?
(Original post by TSRnika)
Oxbridge do have a recommended list of A levels they prefer. Although its not imperative it would certainly help your application. Straight off the bat, history would work really well and is a very recognized subject, I am not too sure how well Drama will fair....
But then again it depends on the subject and English and drama are connected courses!
Believe it or not Drama is an extremely valued A level to high quality Universities. It allows a different range of skills to be learnt such as public speaking, a narrative voice, people skills, improvising, etc. Often head girls and boys or prefects take drama, as it allows them to gain confidence and elaborate language skills. I'm not criticizing your answer in fact I'll check out the suggested A levels; that helps an awful lot. But not many people know how useful Drama is because of it's history of being considered an 'easy' A level when it is anything besides.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Liah)
Believe it or not Drama is an extremely valued A level to high quality Universities. It allows a different range of skills to be learnt such as public speaking, a narrative voice, people skills, improvising, etc. Often head girls and boys or prefects take drama, as it allows them to gain confidence and elaborate language skills. I'm not criticizing your answer in fact I'll check out the suggested A levels; that helps an awful lot. But not many people know how useful Drama is because of it's history of being considered an 'easy' A level when it is anything besides.
That all may be true but you have to remember that Cambridge care solely about one thing; academic ability. Although drama may develop those skills, Cambridge honestly couldn't care less as to whether or not you can 'improvise'. I'm not criticising Drama or saying it's not difficult, but it's just not what Cambridge would look upon as being academic or 'sufficient preparation for Cambridge courses'.

If I wanted to maximise my chances I'd probably take Maths as English lit/History/Maths/Drama is a good combination containing three facilitating subjects. You can definitely get into Cambridge with one or two facilitating subjects, so if you really hate Maths and/or really want to do something different then make sure you just do what you like
TSRnika
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Liah)
I hundred percent agree that Drama is a challenging ALevel, many of my friends took it and it was one of my GCSEs, yet there is still a stigma towards it! For degrees like english lit Drama would be a great choice! I did not mean to offend in anyway.
Dexterous
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To get into the good books of Cambridge, get 100% UMS at everything in AS.
Liah
Rep:
?
No honestly its okay! You weren't offensive or rude at all in fact you were polite compared to lots of people who call it a 'soppy' A level
(Original post by TSRnika)
I hundred percent agree that Drama is a challenging ALevel, many of my friends took it and it was one of my GCSEs, yet there is still a stigma towards it! For degrees like english lit Drama would be a great choice! I did not mean to offend in anyway.
Liah
Rep:
?
Thankyou for your reply it's actually what i needed, do you know by any chance anyone that goes to Cambridge or if you attend the university yourself only because I was wondering whether it was a very 'only excepting of academic A levels' type of university. I mean i know all universities want academically bright students, but do they no value artistic subjects as much? and is it a good university for artistic courses? are they not as accepting of these qualities? Sorry if I've bombarded you with questions I am genuinely just curious

(Original post by Frannoooooooo)
That all may be true but you have to remember that Cambridge care solely about one thing; academic ability. Although drama may develop those skills, Cambridge honestly couldn't care less as to whether or not you can 'improvise'. I'm not criticising Drama or saying it's not difficult, but it's just not what Cambridge would look upon as being academic or 'sufficient preparation for Cambridge courses'.

If I wanted to maximise my chances I'd probably take Maths as English lit/History/Maths/Drama is a good combination containing three facilitating subjects. You can definitely get into Cambridge with one or two facilitating subjects, so if you really hate Maths and/or really want to do something different then make sure you just do what you like
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Liah)
Thankyou for your reply it's actually what i needed, do you know by any chance anyone that goes to Cambridge or if you attend the university yourself only because I was wondering whether it was a very 'only excepting of academic A levels' type of university. I mean i know all universities want academically bright students, but do they no value artistic subjects as much? and is it a good university for artistic courses? are they not as accepting of these qualities? Sorry if I've bombarded you with questions I am genuinely just curious
Don't apologise for asking questions that's what TSR is for! And I'm actually an AS student so I'm not the best authority on the matter but I'm aiming for Oxbridge myself, know people who have got there, and also spent a day shadowing students at Cambridge last year. I've also done a lot of research but obviously if you want 100% concrete guidance then getting in contact with the uni would be best.

As for whether or not it appreciates artsy subjects.. it depends on what you mean by artsy. On the Cambridge site there's a list of course under 'Arts' which includes things like History, Economics, Georgraphy etc (degrees that are BA). But I'm assuming you mean more performance arts like Drama and Music? Cambridge do music so obviously music is appreciated, but there are no degrees for Drama as Cambridge is a very traditional Uni. There will be clubs and societies there for drama (Cambridge has one of the most famous drama clubs! - The Footlights) but unfortunately their degrees require solely academic subjects.
Liah
Rep:
?
Thankyou so much this was really helpful!
(Original post by Frannoooooooo)
Don't apologise for asking questions that's what TSR is for! And I'm actually an AS student so I'm not the best authority on the matter but I'm aiming for Oxbridge myself, know people who have got there, and also spent a day shadowing students at Cambridge last year. I've also done a lot of research but obviously if you want 100% concrete guidance then getting in contact with the uni would be best.

As for whether or not it appreciates artsy subjects.. it depends on what you mean by artsy. On the Cambridge site there's a list of course under 'Arts' which includes things like History, Economics, Georgraphy etc (degrees that are BA). But I'm assuming you mean more performance arts like Drama and Music? Cambridge do music so obviously music is appreciated, but there are no degrees for Drama as Cambridge is a very traditional Uni. There will be clubs and societies there for drama (Cambridge has one of the most famous drama clubs! - The Footlights) but unfortunately their degrees require solely academic subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed