Quick question about National 5 English :)

Watch this thread
fabstrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I have a personal reflective and a discursive essay to be in for 9th January, to be sent to the SQA. We've done the draft for the discursive one.
My teacher told us she'd prefer us to have them typed, but I can't do that. I have a printer but it's broken and hasn't been used in years anyway

So does it matter if I handwrite my essays? I don't wanna be like the only person who's not printing it though.. my friend said her dad could print it for me but I'm not really trusting her because she's the person who will forget to give it to me when I ask and then it'll be all crumpled and stuff so... Plus she'd probably have a look at my personal essay to be nosy and I don't really want anyone else to read it apart from the examiner

It's just going to take me ages to write it really neatly, but I won't lose marks or anything will I? Can anyone give me some guidance so I'm not freaking out about this, thanks
Pennyarcade
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Cant you put it on a USB and print it in school?
fabstrawberry
Rep:
I don't think so, she never said anything about being able to print it in school
I don't even have a USB anyway, yeah I know I'm living under a rock. I've just never had to use one before so

ALSO, for my discursive essay I need to put in the references? I was wondering how exactly I'm meant to do that, do I need to write the reference straight before/after the quoted information or can I just write all the references in a list at the end? But I also need to show which quote was written by who, so do I number them or something?

Sorry for so many questions, but my english teacher hasn't bothered telling us much so :/
Pennyarcade
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fabstrawberry)
I don't think so, she never said anything about being able to print it in school
I don't even have a USB anyway, yeah I know I'm living under a rock. I've just never had to use one before so

ALSO, for my discursive essay I need to put in the references? I was wondering how exactly I'm meant to do that, do I need to write the reference straight before/after the quoted information or can I just write all the references in a list at the end? But I also need to show which quote was written by who, so do I number them or something?

Sorry for so many questions, but my english teacher hasn't bothered telling us much so :/
Printers are really expensive, so if you ask your teacher then theyll be cool with it.
Lol buy one then! They're like 2 quid

You just stick all your references on a page at the end. When you hand in your first draft the teacher will fix it for you anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
fabstrawberry
Rep:
I can't, because I'm just going to include a USB in my christmas list so that means I obviously won't have one until Christmas, and then I go back on 5th January and I'd really rather get the essay done before the holidays so I don't have to worry about it.

Btw, the discursive one is not a draft as we've already done the draft for that, this is the real thing so the teacher won't be touching it

The personal one is also not a draft, we had the option of using our S3 personal essay from last year and just turning that into the 'real' essay, but mine was terrible so I'm writing another one

But I mean, does it really matter whether I type it or handwrite it?
Bromaldehyde
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fabstrawberry)
I can't, because I'm just going to include a USB in my christmas list so that means I obviously won't have one until Christmas, and then I go back on 5th January and I'd really rather get the essay done before the holidays so I don't have to worry about it.

Btw, the discursive one is not a draft as we've already done the draft for that, this is the real thing so the teacher won't be touching it

The personal one is also not a draft, we had the option of using our S3 personal essay from last year and just turning that into the 'real' essay, but mine was terrible so I'm writing another one

But I mean, does it really matter whether I type it or handwrite it?
I'm not sure where you live, but waiting until Christmas isn't necessary. My local ASDA sells really cheap USBs, so I;m sure your local supermarket will sell them too.
fabstrawberry
Rep:
I'm not able to go to any shop until the 20th, by which time school will be over.

Nobody is answering my question :mad:
BreezeBlockss
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm pretty sure that the SQA ask for it to be typed because they give a strict list of guidelines on what it should look like such as size 12 font. Surely it can't be that hard to print it out.
Larissa14
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Can't you use a library and print it out there? Pretty sure it's free to join a libary
flower-98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
They'll have to be typed to send to SQA. E-mail?? Most teachers are willing to give their school email addresses
allybop99
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Print it in school?
Print it at the library?
Get a parent to print it out at work?
Surely it can't be that hard, just go buy a USB at a local shop then print it out next day at school or at the library?
MissCH98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I wrote my folio essays by hand for nat5 and got an A. As long as it's really really neat and no mistakes It should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads