ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Title explains it simply, just wondering if there's a benefit or does it mainly depend on whether I think I can do well. Additionally, would a grade <1 in STEP I achieved in Y12 just look bad? Btw, useful info, aiming for Maths at Cambridge.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joe12345marc)
Title explains it simply, just wondering if there's a benefit or does it mainly depend on whether I think I can do well. Additionally, would a grade <1 in STEP I achieved in Y12 just look bad? Btw, useful info, aiming for Maths at Cambridge.
I would say if you expect to get 100% in Maths & FM barring silly mistakes and are willing to devote serious time to it then yes. If you can't get an S or 1 then probably Cambridge Maths will be a struggle anyway. If you can then the preparation will be helpful for the eventual maths interview.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colmans)
I would say if you expect to get 100% in Maths & FM barring silly mistakes and are willing to devote serious time to it then yes. If you can't get an S or 1 then probably Cambridge Maths will be a struggle anyway. If you can then the preparation will be helpful for the eventual maths interview.
Yeah I do, definitely up to doing it too. Do you know when I have to apply to do STEP I by? There's surely a deadline, hopefully it's pretty late so I can just do STEP work and if everything's going well and I think an S or 1 is possible, then I choose to do it?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I do, definitely up to doing it too. Do you know when I have to apply to do STEP I by? There's surely a deadline, hopefully it's pretty late so I can just do STEP work and if everything's going well and I think an S or 1 is possible, then I choose to do it?
You have ages yet:

http://www.admissionstestingservice....tes-and-costs/

ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Oh wow I have until APRIL! Wow brilliant, thanks!
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You really do need a few A-levels in maths before it becomes doable though.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
You really do need a few A-levels in maths before it becomes doable though.
You mean a few modules? Well yeah I'm doing C1/C2/S1/FP1/M1/M2 That's easily enough
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You mean a few modules? Well yeah I'm doing C1/C2/S1/FP1/M1/M2 That's easily enough
No I mean a few A-levels. You at least need C3/C4, but FP2-4 are very useful for it.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
No I mean a few A-levels. You at least need C3/C4, but FP2-4 are very useful for it.
Well I know I don't need it, they would just help. STEP II and III i would, but much less so STEP I
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I know I don't need it, they would just help. STEP II and III i would, but much less so STEP I
You underestimate STEP 1. You definitely need C3 and C4, but some questions will be impossible without FP2/FP3/FP4. Some mechanics questions will be impossible without M3/M4 and most statistics questions will be impossible without S2/S3/S4. Have a try at a paper and you will see. Do you know how the paper works(for example you answer 6 questions etc.)?
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You NEED C3/ C4 to realistically attempt Step 1. M1, M2, S1 and S2 are also recommended, as otherwise you're limiting yourself on which questions you can even attempt. You also need a few other things like proof by induction and proof by contradiction (induction is taught in FP1, but you could self teach that without too much difficulty as FP1 isn't actually a prerequisite for STEP 1 or STEP 2). s

C1-4, M1-2, S1-2 are the only modules needed for STEP 1 and STEP 2. STEP 3 can ask questions that require knowledge of any of the A-level modules.
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brittanna)
You NEED C3/ C4 to realistically attempt Step 1. M1, M2, S1 and S2 are also recommended, as otherwise you're limiting yourself on which questions you can even attempt. You also need a few other things like proof by induction and proof by contradiction (induction is taught in FP1, but you could self teach that without too much difficulty as FP1 isn't actually a prerequisite for STEP 1 or STEP 2). s

C1-4, M1-2, S1-2 are the only modules needed for STEP 1 and STEP 2. STEP 3 can ask questions that require knowledge of any of the A-level modules.
Doing STEP prep, there are often questions in STEP 1 that require M3, FP2, FP3 or S3 to attempt
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing STEP prep, there are often questions in STEP 1 that require M3, FP2, FP3 or S3 to attempt
Have you got any specific examples? And are these from the really old papers (pre 1995), as the spec did change after this?
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you got any specific examples? And are these from the really old papers (pre 1995), as the spec did change after this?
1998(just as a quick example, there are more in later papers, but I didn't want to list every example)

list of extra modules needed to answer all questions:

pure:
3-FP3
5-FP2
I believe 8 needs FP3, but haven't done that question yet

mechanics:
9-M3
10-M3

Not so good with statistics and I have no idea what S3/S4 covers
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1998(just as a quick example, there are more in later papers, but I didn't want to list every example)

list of extra modules needed to answer all questions:

pure:
3-FP3
5-FP2
I believe 8 needs FP3, but haven't done that question yet

mechanics:
9-M3
10-M3

Not so good with statistics and I have no idea what S3/S4 covers
I may have got the dates of the spec change wrong. But certainly in the newer papers (say 2003/4 onwards or so), there are definitely not any questions that require complex numbers, nor should there be any that require knowledge of modules other than C1-C4, M1-M2, S1-S2. That's not to say they won't ask questions that could be made easier using knowledge from a later module. Are you aware of any questions requiring FP2/ FP3 from 2003 onwards?
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I may have got the dates of the spec change wrong. But certainly in the newer papers (say 2003/4 onwards or so), there are definitely not any questions that require complex numbers, nor should there be any that require knowledge of modules other than C1-C4, M1-M2, S1-S2. That's not to say they won't ask questions that could be made easier using knowledge from a later module. Are you aware of any questions requiring FP2/ FP3 from 2003 onwards?
Right, I also thought the spec change was earlier
It is true that from 2003, there seem to be fewer of these questions. Only one I can find in a few minutes of looking is 11-M3.
edit: in the 2003 paper
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So based on this, STEP 1 is doable with C1-4, M1-2(possibly M3), S1-2(possibly S3), with some extra FP1-FP2 stuff to learn
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right, I also thought the spec change was earlier
It is true that from 2003, there seem to be fewer of these questions. Only one I can find in a few minutes of looking is 11-M3.
edit: in the 2003 paper
Question 11 seems to be doable with M1 and M2 knowledge, at least on Edexcel.
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Question 11 seems to be doable with M1 and M2 knowledge, at least on Edexcel.
Not AQA, which adds to the complexity of the OP's question
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Either way, the answer is that they shouldn't take it yet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
18.94%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.5%

Watched Threads