The Student Room Group

what is the best way to sell a gaming laptop/ ultrabook

I have bought a gaming laptop 10 months ago whilst traveling, and now I want to sell it. I saw the laptops with similar specs to mine were selling for around 1000 pounds.

I am not sure which is the best way to sell an expensive machine like this. I have checked ebay, it seems okay but quite expensive, are there better alternatives or is ebay already the best option?

I will be very grateful if anyone can teach me what to do.:smile:
Reply 1
I personally use eBay, but there's also Gumtree.You could also see what trade-in stores (like Cex) would offer you for it, but it probably won't be as good as selling it elsewhere.
I've sold two computers in this last couple of years, one on eBay and one on Gumtree. eBay offers seller protection and gets a lot more exposure, has the capacity to earn you more than you were expecting if you auction it, but they take a cut. Gumtree is pretty much limited to local sales and you have to be wary about selling, but it usually results in quick sales with instant cash in hand. Both have their advantages,
What's the laptop and specs?
Acer aspire V5-572G

- 15.6" screen

- 1080p full HD IPS panel
- dual graphics card (intel i7 apu + nvidia gt750m with 4 GB dedicated video memory) (unlike the more common 2 GB VRAM version)
- quad-core intel i7 processor
- 8GB DDR3
- windows 8.1
- cpu turbo boost enabled (up to 3.1 GHz)
- light & thin (less than 1 inch)
- wifi &bluetooth
- hdmi port
- mini displayport
- usb 3.0 port
- ethernet port
- audio jack
- 4 speakers array
- LED backlit keyboard
- build-in mic
- HD webcam
Original post by proteinsynthesis
Acer aspire V5-572G

- 15.6" screen

- dual graphics card (intel i7 apu + nvidia gt750m with 4 GB dedicated video memory) (unlike the more common 2 GB VRAM version)
- 8GB DDR3
- windows 8.1
- wifi &bluetooth
- hdmi port
- mini displayport
- usb 3.0 port
- ethernet port
- audio jack
- 4 speakers array
- LED backlit keyboard
- build-in mic
- HD webcam

Thats not worth a £1000 right now, Intel doesn't have an apu system thats AMD, so its a single graphics card.

It's second hand now, its old, with no warranty, etc at £700 in todays money you can pick up better things.
Original post by Iqbal007
Thats not worth a £1000 right now, Intel doesn't have an apu system thats AMD, so its a single graphics card.

It's second hand now, its old, with no warranty, etc at £700 in todays money you can pick up better things.

thanks for the info.
Acer aspire V5-572G

- 15.6" screen

- 8GB DDR3
- windows 8.1
- wifi &bluetooth
- hdmi port
- mini displayport
- usb 3.0 port
- ethernet port
- audio jack
- 4 speakers array
- LED backlit keyboard
- build-in mic
- HD webcam

Your laptop was never optioned with a quad core i7. You have the specs wrong.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Your laptop was never optioned with a quad core i7. You have the specs wrong.

How do i check the number of cores on my laptop? I thought it was quad-core as I saw 4 cores when checking with the device manager.
How do i check the number of cores on my laptop? I thought it was quad-core as I saw 4 cores when checking with the device manager.

If you are using Windows 8, do CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to task manager, click on the performance tab, and then CPU. It will list the number of cores there.

(You probably got the number of cores mixed up with the number of threads. Since your CPU probably supports Hyperthreading, you saw 4 logical cores and thought it was the same as 4 physical cores, which it's not.)
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
If you are using Windows 8, do CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to task manager, click on the performance tab, and then CPU. It will list the number of cores there.

(You probably got the number of cores mixed up with the number of threads. Since your CPU probably supports Hyperthreading, you saw 4 logical cores and thought it was the same as 4 physical cores, which it's not.)

Thanks
Thanks

No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending