The Student Room Group

Cracking answers to Interview questions?

I am a post-grad going for a shot at a PHD. Interviews are not my forte. Anyone got some smart answers to these generic questions? Be grateful for your advice. So here goes:

Why do you want to join this course?
What do you think a PHD will give you?
What are your weaknesses?
What attributes will you bring to this course?
Can you tell us about a project or assignment where you encountered some challenges, and tell us how you overcame them?
How do you deal with disruptive influences?

Thanks for your responses.
Reply 1
Original post by ahn2908

What do you think a PHD will give you?

An eventual light bulb moment where the fact that it is PhD dawns...

If you regurgitate textbook answers it is almost certainly going to be noticeable. That's not to say don't prepare, but no one here is going to be able to tailor an answer for you as no one here knows you, not even remotely well enough. All you will receive here is generic advice. If I were you I'd just sit down, dissect the questions; what are they looking for, what qualities are they looking to identify with that question and then just dig through for some examples in your own life that illustrate those qualities.
Original post by Zorg
...If you regurgitate textbook answers it is almost certainly going to be noticeable.

Be careful here, IMO, this is only (slightly) relevant for specific questions on your PS and remember, a lot of interviews are not based on your PS.
The focus of an interview is not a game of "Would I lie to you", the interviewer only wants to prove you can answer certain questions well and that you are suitable for the course.
IMO, If you can consistently demonstrate an ability to structure how you answer, you are likely to get the offer - and this is where learning scripted answers is ideal.

Original post by Zorg

That's not to say don't prepare, but no one here is going to be able to tailor an answer for you as no one here knows you, not even remotely well enough. All you will receive here is generic advice. If I were you I'd just sit down, dissect the questions; what are they looking for, what qualities are they looking to identify with that question and then just dig through for some examples in your own life that illustrate those qualities.

This seems the wrong way round to me. The danger here is this - if you go too off-piste from the scripted response, you run the risk of your answer being substandard - in that you do not tick all the boxes.
IMO, It is far quicker and better to regurgitate a standard answer, but to ensure you back it up with personal examples.
Its also a huge waste of time to do things the wrong way round.

Sometimes a question is not what it seems
e.g. An answer to "Who is your best friend?" should be on the lines of "I have many friends and get on well with everyone" (Why waste time on this trick standard question?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Parent_help
Be careful here, IMO, this is only (slightly) relevant for specific questions on your PS and remember, a lot of interviews are not based on your PS.
The focus of an interview is not a game of "Would I lie to you", the interviewer only wants to prove you can answer certain questions well and that you are suitable for the course.
IMO, If you can consistently demonstrate an ability to structure how you answer, you are likely to get the offer - and this is where learning scripted answers is ideal.

Learning a scripted answer and learning how to develop an answer are two different things. There will be a certain point where you do not have a scripted answer for a questions and if you can't structure your answer well, then it will become very obvious you've merely memorised what to say.
It may not be David Mitchell interrogating you, however the interviewer will want to prove that he is interviewing you and not the book of interview answers you read.

This seems the wrong way round to me. The danger here is this - if you go too off-piste from the scripted response, you run the risk of your answer being substandard - in that you do not tick all the boxes.
IMO, It is far quicker and better to regurgitate a standard answer, but to ensure you back it up with personal examples.
Its also a huge waste of time to do things the wrong way round.

Sometimes a question is not what it seems
e.g. An answer to "Who is your best friend?" should be on the lines of "I have many friends and get on well with everyone" (Why waste time on this trick standard question?)

Your assumptions are based on all questions being standard. There are a few which are more or less a tick box exercise, however the vast majority will require input from your experiences for a satisfactory answers. Of the examples the OP has given, only 2 may be construed as having standard answers.
It says enough that the answer to your own example sounds superficial and hollow.
Original post by Zorg
..however the interviewer will want to prove that he is interviewing you and not the book of interview answers you read.

Interesting perspective, I

Original post by Zorg

Of the examples the OP has given, only 2 may be construed as having standard answers.

Disagree - There are standard answers for all - they just need to be customised to include personal examples

Original post by Zorg

It says enough that the answer to your own example sounds superficial and hollow.

The point of the question is to establish an opening for further questions which try to give you the feeling you are "Billy No Mates" who would have difficulty making new friends etc. - To test your resilience under personal provoking (Do you crack under pressure).
It seems to have worked in your case. :wink:
Reply 5
Disagree - There are standard answers for all - they just need to be customised to include personal examples

By definition then, personalising an answer will mean it is no longer standard. By reviewing what the standard answer is you are beginning to understand then what interviewer is looking for and tailoring to that. Which is what I initially said, no?

The point of the question is to establish an opening for further questions which try to give you the feeling you are "Billy No Mates" who would have difficulty making new friends etc. - To test your resilience under personal provoking (Do you crack under pressure).
It seems to have worked in your case. :wink:

My analysis of your response was simply that, an analysis. If you choose to believe you've provoked me in some way by all means carry on. I simply disagree with your view that all answers to interviews are checkbox exercises. Even those that are checkbox exercises will benefit from more than the standard answer, as you quite clearly explained the standard question is not enough on its own; it needs further questions.
Original post by Zorg
...By reviewing what the standard answer is you are beginning to understand then what interviewer is looking for and tailoring to that. Which is what I initially said, no?

Yes you did - no probs eh?

Original post by Zorg
If you choose to believe you've provoked me in some way by all means carry on.

I have no wish to provoke you Zorg - best wishes for interviews etc
I was only highlighting the thinking behind an example trick question.
It seemed the best way to get the point across, nothing more.

In some interviews, 3 level questioning is used (maybe unlikely in med school). The "who is your best friend" is an example of the first level, The second and third levels revolve around the "What do you think" and "Why do you think that".
http://www.compasstraining.com/threelevelquestioningtechnique.htm

Original post by Zorg
I simply disagree with your view that all answers to interviews are checkbox exercises. Even those that are checkbox exercises will benefit from more than the standard answer, as you quite clearly explained the standard question is not enough on its own; it needs further questions.

Consider the use of STAR to help you structure
http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/competency-based-interviews-STAR.aspx

http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

In some interviews, 3 level questioning is used (maybe unlikely in med school). The "who is your best friend" is an example of the first level, The second and third levels revolve around the "What do you think" and "Why do you think that".
http://www.compasstraining.com/threelevelquestioningtechnique.htm

Consider the use of STAR to help you structure
http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/competency-based-interviews-STAR.aspx

http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview

From what I gather this is a PhD interview.

The STAR structure alone should tell you that regurgitating textbook answers are not enough.
Original post by ahn2908
I am a post-grad going for a shot at a PHD. Interviews are not my forte. Anyone got some smart answers to these generic questions? Be grateful for your advice.

The ISC medical book has great textbook answers for all these questions (and more). Essential purchase for interview prep
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interviews-Questions-Analysed-Includes-Multiple-Mini-Interviews/dp/1905812051

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending