Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got shot down after I said I had complicated dental work (wisdom tooth extraction - does that count) - my blood is too good to share anyway

ReputationRep:
    If there was surplus blood, then cutting down on blood donations more likely to be unfit for tranfusion would be no problem. Might be interesting to see what a gay would do if they got turned down once, seeing as people giving blood tend to want to do so - what barrier would a yes/no question pose if the person honestly knew they didn't have any (serious) diseases in their blood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trangulor)
    if the person honestly knew they didn't have any (serious) diseases in their blood?
    1. There's never certainty, merely probability.

2. What's a non-serious BBV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    1. There's never certainty, merely probability.

2. What's a non-serious BBV?
    As certain as any non-gay can be.

And as non-serious as diseases carried by non-gays are, but who can still donate blood. Ignore the serious if you like, I only included it (in the brackets) in case someone started to be pedantic and decided anyone who had ever had chicken pox had diseased blood...

ReputationRep:
    I :suith: giving blood and did it last week.

They won't let me do it in France though. I agree however, that groups, whether ethnic or sexual, prone to infection, should be denied the right to give blood.

ReputationRep:
    Considering that anyone that is about to give blood is asked, among other things, not to do so if he/she believes there is even the tiniest chance (s)he might be infected with HIV, and they have to test the blood either way, I don't see much of a point in completely refusing the right to give blood to certain groups. It all boils down to individual responsibility - and if you are in a risk group, the chances are that you will double check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trangulor)
    As certain as any non-gay can be.
    How well do you suppose that the general public, of any sexual orientation, are aware of the risk factors for BBVs?

anyone who had ever had chicken pox had diseased blood...
    Diseased nerves maybe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydigity)
    In Ireland, gayen are also not allowed donate. This is ridiculous as, actually, it's young females that have the highest infection rates.
    Of HIV? Higher than the gay community? I'm not sure I trust that actually, but if it's true then it's rather worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How well do you suppose that the general public, of any sexual orientation, are aware of the risk factors for BBVs?
    What has that got to do with anything? My point was that if the NHS or other blood bank was receiving more blood than it needed, then I would back them if they wanted to raise restrictions on who could give blood to decrease the average rate of diseased blood being donated - provided it did not result in a shortfall.

My second point was that it would be difficult to enforce. If someone wanted to give blood, knew that ticking 'homosexual' would prevent them from doing so, and also knew (ok, believed strongly) that their blood was just as good as anyone else's, then they can easily lie - remember, these people will want to give blood, not be looking for a way to get out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but how p*ssed would you be if you nearly died and were given a blood transfusion. You wake up- 'Sorry 'x', we've temporarily saved your life, but now you have HIV and are going to die anyway.'

More straight'uns should give blood

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gay, and I don't wish AIDS upon anyone because its such a vile disease, but I cannot wait till the day when 95% of those who have AIDS are heterosexual people because I've had enough with this link which people still draw between homosexuality and AIDS.

At the moment, the gay community has a higher proportion of people infected with AIDS, but then why don't we test these people? Not all of them have AIDS obviously.

IN about 20-30 years, the percentage of heterosexuals infected with AIDS is going to be the same or higher than homosexuals, hopefully then those homophobes in society will accept the homosexual community giving blood.

ReputationRep:
    Bah, no blood donation for me, stupid malaria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -1984-)
    I've had enough with this link which people still draw between homosexuality and AIDS.

At the moment, the gay community has a higher proportion of people infected with AIDS, but then why don't we test these people? Not all of them have AIDS obviously.
    Slight contradiction, non?

Are you suggesting that homosexuals don't get tested for HIV? Are you suggesting that this is, in someway, the NHSs fault?

ReputationRep:
    All the blood is tested anyway, so why not let men who have had oral/anal with other men give blood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Slight contradiction, non?

Are you suggesting that homosexuals don't get tested for HIV? Are you suggesting that this is, in someway, the NHSs fault?
    There may be a contradiction, but its a weak one. The proportion of gays as a percentage of those with HIVAIDS is falling quite dramatically every year. I am not too sure, but I think the last data released by the NHS stated that 60%-70% of those who contracted AIDS did so through heterosexual contact, and that percentage is continuously rising. The distinct link between homosexuality and AIDS is almost non-existent

It is not the NHS's fault of coarse, but the bloods of those gay people who want to donate blood should be tested,. rather than saying to the gay community that they cannot give blood whether they have AIDS or not.

Black people are more likely to steal, but how would a corporation like Marks and Spencer's come across if they were to say 'Black people cannot enter our markets, because they have a higher rate of criminality then white people'?

ReputationRep:
    Black people are more likely to steal
    What?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydigity)
    What?!
    It's true, crime rates are higher among ethnic minorities than among the native white population. Of course, this coincides with higher crime rates amongst the poor regardless of ethnic background, so it seems obvious to me what the real cause is.
    I'm all for keeping the poor out of shops, riff raff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -1984-)
    Black people are more likely to steal, but how would a corporation like Marks and Spencer's come across if they were to say 'Black people cannot enter our markets, because they have a higher rate of criminality then white people'?
    I'd not do anything to stop it. After all, everyone seems to accept 'ladies only car insurance' - so why not racially divided services?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    I'd not do anything to stop it. After all, everyone seems to accept 'ladies only car insurance' - so why not racially divided services?
    Are you serious, or am I at fault for not grasping your particular sense of humour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib North)
    :ditto: either we tolorate discrimination or we don't.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.